Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Racism in Gotha
08-26-2017, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 11:51 PM by Merrix.)
Racism in Gotha
Hello,

I've been trying to piece together some information about racism in Gotha, and I haven't been able to find any thread or wiki article using the search engine. Which brings me to my question: How did the concept of race and, correspondingly, racism, emerge in Gotha?

In Europe, modern racism emerged between the mid-seventeenth and mid-eighteenth centuries with the advent of global travel, an increased awareness of the physiological differences between peoples across the globe, and the application of natural science to human physiology following the scientific revolution. Until that point, Europeans had generally believed the monogenist theory of Genesis - that all humans originated from a single couple. The increased globalism of the 1750s-1850s challenged this theory, and alongside emerged a new theory rooted in medical science, polygenism, that asserted that human diversity could not be explained by a single couple. Therefore, there must have been multiple first couples. Ergo, there are multiple races. Add to that European observations that certain diseases affected bodies of varied colours differently, and that peoples with certain skin tones were more "enlightened" than others on the basis of technology or culture, and you have the making for a world view in which skin colour becomes a sign for physiological or intellectual differences.

Among Anarians, is/was there something akin to a monogenist conception of humanity? If not, how does racism as concept emerge? We have a scientific revolution and we likely have global travel earlier because of Gotha's geography, so how do we get from there to racism? One thing to note is that earlier global travel could work against racism because of frequent exposure.

Edit: Alternatively, maybe we don't have the same sort of racism? Mainly discrimination is more culture-bound than it is racial?
08-27-2017, 03:14 AM
RE: Racism in Gotha
The Aedelish are xenophobic but not racist in our modern sense of the world. The Aldsay basically have a Jewish world view. They believe in their ethnic/cultural exceptionalism and frown about inter mixing with foreign peoples. I wouldn't describe the Jewish world view as racist.

FWIW, I'd argue that Gotha's geography has hindered travel. It is impossible to circumnavigate Gotha so there are likely parts of Gotha unknown to the Anarians until fairly recently.

08-27-2017, 03:29 AM
Quote:FWIW, I'd argue that Gotha's geography has hindered travel. It is impossible to circumnavigate Gotha so there are likely parts of Gotha unknown to the Anarians until fairly recently.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's better to say that Gotha's geography facilitates coastal travel on a regional level - something that would have been possible in ancient and medieval times - but hinders it on a modern oceanic and global level?
08-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:How did the concept of race and, correspondingly, racism, emerge in Gotha?

There's one word too much in this question: "how"... I have no idea if the concept of race has been developed. Jeff's proposition of "xenofobia, not racism" might be the default instead. Since most religions lack this "the whole of humanity started from one couple" concept, it might be that feelings of superiority have a different background than an invented biological one. But that's just me speculating.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
08-27-2017, 04:04 PM
In Anaria, I would suggest that maybe there is a feeling of being 'civilised' compared to much of the rest of the world (and that feeling is not connected with skin colour or other physical characteristics).

You could argue that colonisation is by definition cultural racism, or cultural aggression. It's just that in Gotha it took the form of 'let's enlighten these people' rather than 'let's enslave them'.

[Image: Penryn_flag_tiny.png] PenrynWoodgreener
08-27-2017, 06:19 PM
I've put some thought in how the Amajin deal with the concept of ethnic identity. It's a bit complicated with them since they see themselves as a nation separate from others but also draw themselves from a very diverse gene pool. Some Amajin are pale with a light complexion like Europeans, some are darker like Persians or Indians and others similar to Chinese. Then you have exotic combinations of them all.

They do have a concept blood purity that idolizes certain physical traits, like green eyes or red hair, and the Amajin Republic is a state where being Amajin comes with certain privileges over non-Amajin. Ultimately though the foundation of Amajin Nationalism is more cultural with ethnicity being a secondary priority. The 'far-right' of the Amajin political spectrum would be imperialistic in the Classical Roman sense rather than like Nazi Germany (mainly because I just don't want to go there).
08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure that racism as a phenomenon needs to be rooted in anthropogenesis. It depends on the context. Having said that, it may well be possible that "race" as a construct never emerged in Gotha. Race is an entirely social construct and has no scientific basis whatsoever, so it's more than possible it doesn't exist here.

I know that Anisorans are prejudiced against the Tahani, but that is as a result of religious and cultural differences rather than race - so, again, like Aedeland, an example of xenophobia with religious prejudice thrown in, minus the ethnic exceptionalism. The Anisorans themselves certainly consider themselves superior to most other people in terms of cultural enlightenment, but that doesn't have anything really to do with ethnicity or race.

Anisora does not have a homogeneous ethnicity; and so both Karsk and Athves Anisorans are entitled to claim this cultural superiority - something which is based on education and heritage (the latter is of course open to interpretation), rather than race. Even native peoples in Anisoran colonies can claim this superiority to an extent, with a number of native aristocrats "achieving Anisoran civilisation" through education and cultural refinement. For example, if a native from Altaia can speak Pastanan and has a working knowledge of Anisoran literature, that makes them a better human being than other natives of the same continent. I would therefore go so far as saying that economics, education and class play more of a role here than any conception of race or ethnicity (at least for Anisora). Claiming an Anisoran "identity" of some sort is the crucial point - an identity based on cultural heritage and cultural exceptionalism.

Woodgreener Wrote:You could argue that colonisation is by definition cultural racism, or cultural aggression. It's just that in Gotha it took the form of 'let's enlighten these people' rather than 'let's enslave them'.

I agree, but 'let's enlighten these people' can be easily used as a justification for enslaving them - or exploiting them. We can't forget the fundamental driving force behind colonisation and imperialism - economic exploitation. I think it would be natural for Anarian/colonising powers to establish themselves as superior in terms of technological/scientific/whatever criteria, otherwise justifying imperialism becomes more difficult for the Anarians/others doing it. Perhaps, in Anaria at least, there is a sense of Anarian ethnocentrism, a shared heritage or something. I think the Anisorans certainly identity with "eastern civilisation", for want of a better term, which essentially means Anarian. Being towards the edge of what the Anisorans would consider Anaria (pressing up against Anat Tahan), the Anisorans could be invested in this idea more than others, perhaps.

Gotha is an imperialistic/colonial setting. If "race" as a construct never emerged we ought to think about how and why slavery is still practised in certain parts of the world and whether this is based on ethnicity/race or something else. If racism works differently in Gotha, that would alter, arguably, some of the motivations for certain fundamental actions of colonisation. It wouldn't necessarily change everything, but it would perhaps differ from real world imperial ventures such as the Belgian Congo under Leopold or the European and American slave trade.

El Jeffe Wrote:The Aedelish are xenophobic but not racist in our modern sense of the world. The Aldsay basically have a Jewish world view. They believe in their ethnic/cultural exceptionalism and frown about inter mixing with foreign peoples. I wouldn't describe the Jewish world view as racist.

I think the best term for this would be ethnocentrism.

09-01-2017, 11:26 PM
we ought to think about how and why slavery is still practised in certain parts of the world and whether this is based on ethnicity/race or something else.

If we did change something, we wouldn't really have to change anything until around when Anaria started colonizing other people. Slavery wasn't a particularly racial thing until pretty late in human history.

As for modern-day slavery, in the Amberian colonies, slavery is practiced. I wouldn't call it chattel slavery, but you don't see Cheltai slaves. The Amberians tend to graft themselves onto native practices in that way. And they don't like the Hellish, haha.

09-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Serfdom (which isn't the same as slavery) is a thing from recent history in Orkanan societies. It's like the RW equivalent of feudalism, but since it happens on a much smaller scale and lower level, it has a different character. For example, getting training, shelter and food as a non-voting stim member, effectively being part of an extended family without family ties and any civil rights. We could discuss how voluntary or involutary such a system was (customs, pressure from society, etc.) but thats a different matter. The settlers on Fisks still "employ" native staff this way. Mainland Vittmarkers see this as slavery, since there are no benefits apart from food and shelter.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
09-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Both the Wolgos and Luora are racist in the earth like sense.

The Encompassing Wolgos Bind -- All submit to the enlightenment of the chosen.