Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proposal: Northern Altaia/Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika
09-08-2017, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 10:55 PM by Merrix.)
Proposal: Northern Altaia/Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika
This proposal isn't finished because 1) I'm a new teacher, 2) it's the first week of school, and 3) my time is more fractured. So I'm writing it in chunks Smile. This also lets you know that I haven't disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Religion in Northern Altaia:

Iyamakism is a polytheist religion and metaphysics indigenous to Altaia. It is based on the cosmogony of the Sealing.

Cosmogony: The narrative states that before there was Gotha, the Mother ruled over the realm of Manabi and the children that she brought into the world. Her last two children, the twins Giiz (Sun) and Ana (star-Tyr), resisted her rule and became fiercely independent. Giiz was righteous and just, and she ignored the Mother in her quest to be selfless and good. Ana, meanwhile, was egotistical and cruel, and pleasured only himself. Their actions brought them into open conflict, and eventually, their war tore sky, water, earth, brother, and sister – all that was Manabi – apart. The Mother, bereft with grief, begged them to stop, but neither sibling listened. And so, stunned by their ignorance, the Mother returned them both to her womb bound their spirits to her flesh once more. Her love was not enough, however, and the siblings continued to fight. In time, they pulled, pushed and tugged at the Mother until she too was ripped into a thousand pieces. The siblings, bound as they were, shattered along with her, and from their divine beings sprang all of creation - the Mother’s flesh an eternal seal for the chaotic forces of good and evil.

Relationship with science: Iyamakans believe that the eternal conflict between Giiz and Ana changes the form of the physical world. Traditionally, most natural disasters and bad events would be attributed to either the conflict or Ana. Historically, most Iyamakans interpreted Alir (generous giver of warmth and light) and Tyr (taker of warmth and light) to be areas of creation where Giiz and Ana have, to some extent, breached their seals. In terms of traditional medicine, “calming the conflict within” and asserting order would have been popular remedies. In more modern times, evolution and the movement of celestial bodies would be viewed as a product of this conflict.

More generally, Iyamakans regard the entire natural world to be divine because it is the Mother’s flesh as it was shaped by the bound forces of Giiz and Ana.

Humans: Iyamakans believe that humans are special within creation because they are Atooin – the seal that knows that it is a seal. As such, they have the power to resist the force of good and evil – the force of Giiz and Ana – that pushes and pulls within them. Order over chaos is the moral of the cosmogony.

Other religions and proselytizing: Iyamakans practice conversion because it is only through awareness that one can temper the chaos within or the prevent the dominance of Ana. Iyamakans also believe the natural world is divine, and this makes the notion of a metaphysical divinity like Vind foreign and abstract.

--
Aadizoa is a polytheist religion indigenous to Altaia based on the stories of the Ashwiyaa – the recurring incarnations of the divine being known as the Historian (Aadizoobiigan).

Aadizoan scripture states that Creation is subject to repeated erasure by a cosmic malevolency (some interpretations say malevolencies - plural) known as Jhiguna/ the Jhiguna (emptiness or void), and that the Akawe (The First), sometimes known as God or The Broken One, suspended the Cycle by building Creation out of his essence and imprisoning Jhiguna within it. Aadizoans believe humans are spiritually-endowed beings known as Atooin – seals that know they are seals – and that they form spiritual nodes – Miikwa – that hold the Barrier together. It is thus their duty to preserve and strengthen the spirit of Akawe through the Recollection of Essence, an endo and exo-cannibalistic ritual in which the blood of the deceased is consubstantiated (it becomes both blood and essence) for consumption. Aadizoans believe that their ancestors reside within Miikwa and can be reached through ancestral communion.

Aadizoa emerged as a variant of Iyamakism in the Thern basin during the sixty-seventh century, and Aadizoans regard the religion as a mythic truth underpinning the importance of order over chaos. Aadizoa is the dominant religion in Northern Altaia today (and maybe elsewhere too!)

Relationship with science: Aadizoans believe the world was initially perfect, and that natural disasters and disease signify that the barrier of creation is weakening. Jhiguna is thus seeping through. The celestial body Tyr was believed to be a hole in creation itself. (future news headline: blackholes discovered. Apocalypse immanent.)

In modern times, evolution and the movement of celestial bodies would be viewed as decaying processes of an increasingly imperfect order.

Other religions and proselytizing: Aadizoans practice conversion because it is only through awareness that one can right the imperfections of creation. Aadizoans also believe the natural world is divine, though unlike their Iyamakan counterparts, they do not consider a metaphysical divinity like Vind to be foreign or abstract.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=253]

The Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika, commonly known as the Habinaski Empire, is a country in Nothern Altaia comprised of three republics and numerous territories. At over 11.9 million square kilometres with a population exceeding 174 million, Habinask is the world’s largest country by both surface area and population while its economy, estimated at over 1.4 billion ₲, ranks as the fourth largest on Gotha.

Extending across the entirety of Northern Altaia, Habinask spans [X] time zones and incorporates a wide range of environments and landforms. The Sipwi river is the world’s longest and stretches across the interior of the country from the Altaian Range in the west to the Tao Straight in the east. Roughly 83% of the population resides within the Sipwi river basin and the region is significantly more urbanized and developed than the southern, northern and western portions of the country.

From West to East, Habinask borders [post-colonial country], New Hapsburg, and [SE country]. It also shares a maritime border with Amajin Republic via the South Arctic Sea. Its border with New Hapsburg, the world’s longest bi-national land border, is also the largest militarized region on Gotha.

Habinask is a theocracy, monarchy, and necrocracy. Aadizoa is the state religion, and the country’s constitution enshrines Alawa the Faithful (7370-7419), widely believed by Aadizoans to be the final incarnation of the Historian, as head of state while her eldest heir occupies the post of Atayoke, or sacred storyteller, and functions as her representative in life. He or she rules with the advice of the Regent-Onakateyi, the most senior figure of Aadizoa's largest religious body, The Sodality of the Onahaski, and together, they oversee the Synod within the halls of the Kihchi-Kihkwaka. The Kihchi-Kihkwaka is the tomb of the Royal Family, and the Synod sits before the coffin of the last Historian.

Modern Habinask emerged during the early seventy-fourth century following the Mescipa, a period between 7386 and 7392 in which roughly half of the population in Northern Altaia perished from a mysterious wasting disease. The Mescipa produced large cultural shifts within Sipwika, and created a major religious divide – the Niswayakan – over the orthodoxy of the Aadizoan caste system, the rights and obligations of the nobility, and the Amaji, Yannish, and Hayanokan merchants who operated within their circles. The resulting populist and peasant revolution, known as the Grand Reclamation, resulted in the dissolution of the Kingdom of the Gaspi, the abolishment of the nobility, and the instatement of the Onahaski as a governing body under the leadership of peasant revolutionary, republican, and priestess Alawa Hansis in 7405. The premature death of Alawa in 7419 precipitated a power vacuum within the nascent state between establishment factions of the Sodality of the Onahaski and the revolutionaries of the Grand Reclamation. The victory of the former led to the abandonment of Alawa’s republican aspirations for the Sipwikan basin, and the Atayohkate of Habinask was declared in 7421. The Onakateyi, Paskus, acted as regent for Alawa’s infant child, Hassun Hansis, until he came of age, establishing the norm whereby the Sodality became the caretakers, advisors, and protectors of the Hansis royal line. Over the next two generations, the Atayohkate annexed, absorbed or conquered most of the states in the Sipwikan basin, becoming the Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika in 7476.

Government:

Governance:
The constitution of Sipwika is partly codified and states that the country is an “Aadizoan state devoted to order under the eternal leadership of the Historian and her descendants.” It enshrines Alawa Hansis as head of state, and designates her eldest heir – the Atayohke – as both her representative in life and the “constitution-incarnate” of the Atayohkate. In practice, the Atayohke is said to govern “transcendentally” while the Regent and Synod govern according “to the flow” of things.

The Sodality of the Onahaski
Sipwika’s constitution declares the country to be under the “orderly administration” of the Sodality of the Onahaski. Local councils appoints priests to Gatherings on the advice of the local population, and priests function as the primary intermediaries between state and civil society. They are responsible for communicating the Sodality’s message to the faithful, and reporting back any issues or grievances to governing bodies. The Sodality’s hierarchy is electorally pyramidal. Priests are elected by the local population, and they, in turn, elect functionaries above them up to the Conclave of the Atayohkate.
The Conclave, comprised of representatives, is the supra-national legislature of Sipwika, and it meets once a year to deliberate, legislate, and oversee the laws of the Atayohkate. It is elected every four years, and holds annual sessions during the spring. It also elects the Synod, the governing body of the Sodality, and the legislative-executive organ of the Atayohkate.

The Synod is made up of Oninige who are elected for life and tasked with creating and enforcing laws. Oninige oversee the departments, agencies, and bodies of the Atayohkate. There is no fixed limit on the number of Oninige that can belong to the Synod. The Synod is responsible for electing the Onakateyi, the most senior figure within the Sodality and the Regent to the Atayohke.

The Sodality of the Onahaski is responsible for the administration of justice in areas where it falls under the jurisdiction of the Atayohkate.

The Atayohke

The Atayohke is a ruler whose authority rests on their descent from and ability to commune with Alawa. The Atayohke is the “constitution-incarnate” of Sipwika, meaning that constitutional legitimacy rests with his or her person. In theory, this equates the Atayohke’s word with the law itself, but Sipwika’s constitution distinguishes between “communal proclamations” and “proclamations of the flesh.” Only communal proclamations – statements in which the Atayohke speaks the words of Alawa herself – are beyond constitutional restraint. This is because the constitution itself is a communal proclamation made by Hassun Hansis in 7428, and so only another communal proclamation can override it.

Subjects of the Atayohkate

The Atayohkate of Sipwika is a federal empire comprised of 3 republics and 30 territories under the joint administration of the Hansis Royal Family and the Sodality of the Onahaski.

Republics: The three republics of the Atayohkate, Habinask, the Confederacy of Seasons, and Vestaxe, are autonomous subjects of the state with the power to draft their own constitutions, determine their head of states, create legislatures, and establish their own official languages. They have jurisdiction over taxation for purposes of the republic, hospitals and health, law and justice in areas not claimed by the Atayohkate, prisons and penitentiaries, civil works, republican citizenship, property ownership, agriculture, river management, natural resources, and the administration of schools and education.

Territories: Territorial subjects are directly administered by the Atayohkate, though they can establish territorial councils for the purposes of taxation in regards to civil works and administration.

The Atayohkate: The Atayohkate is responsible for all international matters, including, but not limited to foreign affairs, national defense, international trade and commerce, foreign threats, the military, and war. It is also responsible for internal matters of empire such as imperial taxation and citizenship, census-taking, law (currently: criminal, religious, media, economic), currency, the economy, faith, education, and river management.

The constitution also grants the Atayohkate the power to intervene in or claim all subject powers under the “preservation of order” clause. This is frequently employed with regards to key natural resources, economic development, and social inequality.

Ethnic groups:

The Atayohkate is home to over thirty ethnic groups whose populations range in size from thousands to millions of individuals.

Habinaski: Known as the Ashiwi in their language of Iwewin, the Habinaski are found throughout Sipwika and are its largest and most influential ethnic group. The Habinaski are responsible for revealing Aadizoa to the world, initiating the Grand Reclamation, and establishing the Atayohkate that dominates Northern Altaia. Imperial culture, in its broadest sense, is a reflection Habinaski culture, and Iwewin is the lingua franca of the empire. The Sodality and the Atayohke also bare the indelible stamp of their Habinaski origins.

Politically, the republic of Habinask is lies at the heart of the industrial revolution in Sipwika, and it is the empire’s largest, most prosperous and advanced society. The Habinaski number over 113 million people and roughly half - or about 60 million - call the republic home.

Mimajuinu: The Mimajuinu are oldest ethnic group in Sipwika and the the second largest at roughly 20 million people. They speak Mimajuin and reside almost entirely within the Confederacy of Seasons. Iyamakism originated within the region, and the Mimajuinu are credited with spreading the religion throughout Sipwika during Gespenaji Empire. Because of the Mimajuinu’s coastal location, the culture has long been influenced by both river and sea, and the Mimajuinu are among the most global people in Sipwika – having been influenced by Hanayakan, Yannish, and Amajin culture.

Vestaxi: The Vestaxi are the third largest ethnic group in in Sipwika at roughly 12 million people. While Vestaxi have lived in the Atayohkate for as long as it has existed, the Republican Principality of Vestaxe was annexed during the Pan-Anarian War in an effort to counter New Hapsburg’s eastward push. A traditionally coastal people, the Vestaxi worshipped the religion of the Broken god – a second offshoot of Iyamakanism – and were long the subject of religious persecution by the Atayohkate. Since the annexation of Vestaxe, the Atayohkate has devoted considerable resources towards appeasing the Vestaxi – including but not limited to modernizing and industrializing Vestaxe’s economy, granting the region the status of republic, and permitting it to retain a monarch. While this has earned the ire of other peoples within the Atayohkate – many of whom regard the Vestaxi as heretical freeloaders – it has lessened resentment among the younger population within the Republican Principality.

Peiku, Nok, and Upipaamuh: The Peiku, Nok and Upippamuh are northern peoples residing along Altaia’s arctic coast. Semi-nomadic in nature, they migrate southward during the long-winters caused by the Tyreal-Gothal Decadal Oscillation and return north during the long-summers.

To come foreign relations
09-08-2017, 09:55 AM
RE: Proposal: Northern Altaia/Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika
Quote:a period between 7386 and 7392 in which roughly half of the population in Northern Altaia perished from a mysterious wasting disease.

It's these types of details that get my gears working. I have assumed that about 400 years ago (around 7150) there was a cataclysmic event in the Julian Sea, volcanic eruption or meteorite impact. It is indicated in Kakuri "history" but not really established as an IG event, since I wanted to discuss this with other players in the region first. Let me know if you want to use this event as a basis for some famine around that time, then we can work something out. The timeframe does not match your disease at all, and I'm not suggesting to move it. It's just input, see if you can make use of it.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
09-08-2017, 10:32 AM
I really like this proposal. The attention to detail in the religions is particularly impressive and I'm greatly looking forward to how they develop and interact with the world. I still love the idea of a necrocracy - very unique and just really cool, in a macabre sort of way.

09-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Brilliant Proposal! I think you've already brought the Habinaski alive through the religions, a great way to start. I look forward to seeing more later. In the meantime I hope you're having a great first week on the job ☺
09-09-2017, 03:58 PM
(09-08-2017 09:55 AM)Pepijn Wrote:  
Quote:a period between 7386 and 7392 in which roughly half of the population in Northern Altaia perished from a mysterious wasting disease.

It's these types of details that get my gears working. I have assumed that about 400 years ago (around 7150) there was a cataclysmic event in the Julian Sea, volcanic eruption or meteorite impact. It is indicated in Kakuri "history" but not really established as an IG event, since I wanted to discuss this with other players in the region first. Let me know if you want to use this event as a basis for some famine around that time, then we can work something out. The timeframe does not match your disease at all, and I'm not suggesting to move it. It's just input, see if you can make use of it.

I don't mind having a famine during that time period, though a volcanic eruption is probably more appropriate for this. If we have an asteroid large enough to block out the sun with dust and ash, then that asteroid is probably also large enough to destroy a good chunk of the region.
09-15-2017, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 02:41 AM by Merrix.)
Territory: 6001-6005, 6009-6022, 6025-6026, 6032-6047, 6049-6056, 6059-6063, 6084-6086, 6165

Here's a cropped version of a larger map I'm working on. It's pretty bare bones, but I wanted to post an update.

Red = Habinahsk
Green = The Confederacy of Seasons
Purple = The Republican Principality of Vestaxe
Blue = Territories of the Atayohkate

Red + Green + Purple + Blue = The Manifest Atayohkate of Sipwika.

Attachments aren't working for me. Says file is processed and then my browser loads a blank page. I'll try again later. In the meantime, you can view the high-res version here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7jUgJ...mhFNkpzS1E
09-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Nice map! The Atayohkate has an interesting makeup. I'm looking forward to seeing how the regions develop Smile

09-16-2017, 04:06 PM
That is indeed a fine map, love it!

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
09-17-2017, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 03:42 PM by Merrix.)
I've included this info in my original post for ease of access.

Government:

Governance:
The constitution of Sipwika is partly codified and states that the country is an “Aadizoan state devoted to order under the eternal leadership of the Historian and her descendants.” It enshrines Alawa Hansis as head of state, and designates her eldest heir – the Atayohke – as both her representative in life and the “constitution-incarnate” of the Atayohkate. In practice, the Atayohke is said to govern “transcendentally” while the Regent and Synod govern according “to the flow” of things.

The Sodality of the Onahaski

Sipwika’s constitution declares the country to be under the “orderly administration” of the Sodality of the Onahaski. Local councils appoints priests to Gatherings on the advice of the local population, and priests function as the primary intermediaries between state and civil society. They are responsible for communicating the Sodality’s message to the faithful, and reporting back any issues or grievances to governing bodies. The Sodality’s hierarchy is electorally pyramidal. Priests are elected by the local population, and they, in turn, elect functionaries above them up to the Conclave of the Atayohkate.

The Conclave, comprised of representatives, is the supra-national legislature of Sipwika, and it meets once a year to deliberate, legislate, and oversee the laws of the Atayohkate. It is elected every four years, and holds annual sessions during the spring. It also elects the Synod, the governing body of the Sodality, and the legislative-executive organ of the Atayohkate.

The Synod is made up of Oninige who are elected for life and tasked with creating and enforcing laws. Oninige oversee the departments, agencies, and bodies of the Atayohkate. There is no fixed limit on the number of Oninige that can belong to the Synod. The Synod is responsible for electing the Onakateyi, the most senior figure within the Sodality and the Regent to the Atayohke.

The Sodality of the Onahaski is responsible for the administration of justice in areas where it falls under the jurisdiction of the Atayohkate.

The Atayohke

The Atayohke is a ruler whose authority rests on their descent from and ability to commune with Alawa. The Atayohke is the “constitution-incarnate” of Sipwika, meaning that constitutional legitimacy rests with his or her person. In theory, this equates the Atayohke’s word with the law itself, but Sipwika’s constitution distinguishes between “communal proclamations” and “proclamations of the flesh.” Only communal proclamations – statements in which the Atayohke speaks the words of Alawa herself – are beyond constitutional restraint. This is because the constitution itself is a communal proclamation made by Hassun Hansis in 7428, and so only another communal proclamation can override it.

Subjects of the Atayohkate

The Atayohkate of Sipwika is a federal empire comprised of 3 republics and 30 territories under the joint administration of the Hansis Royal Family and the Sodality of the Onahaski.

Republics: The three republics of the Atayohkate, Habinask, the Confederacy of Seasons, and Vestaxe, are autonomous subjects of the state with the power to draft their own constitutions, determine their head of states, create legislatures and/or executive bodies, and establish their own official languages. They have jurisdiction over taxation for purposes of the republic, hospitals and health, law and justice in areas not claimed by the Atayohkate, prisons and penitentiaries, civil works, republican citizenship, property ownership, agriculture, river management, natural resources, and the administration of schools and education.

Territories: Territorial subjects are directly administered by the Atayohkate, though they can establish territorial councils for the purposes of taxation in regards to civil works and administration.

The Atayohkate: The Atayohkate is responsible for all international matters, including, but not limited to foreign affairs, national defense, international trade and commerce, foreign threats, the military, and war. It is also responsible for internal matters of empire such as imperial taxation and citizenship, census-taking, law (currently: criminal, religious, media, economic), currency, the economy, faith, education, and river management.

The constitution also grants the Atayohkate the power to intervene in or claim all subject powers under the “preservation of order” clause. This is frequently employed with regards to key natural resources, economic development, and social inequality.
09-17-2017, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 10:55 PM by Merrix.)
Ethnic groups:

The Atayohkate is home to over thirty ethnic groups whose populations range in size from thousands to millions of individuals.

Habinaski: Known as the Ashiwi in their language of Iwewin, the Habinaski are found throughout Sipwika and are its largest and most influential ethnic group. The Habinaski are responsible for revealing Aadizoa to the world, initiating the Grand Reclamation, and establishing the Atayohkate that dominates Northern Altaia. Imperial culture, in its broadest sense, is a reflection Habinaski culture, and Iwewin is the lingua franca of the empire. The Sodality and the Atayohke also bare the indelible stamp of their Habinaski origins.

Politically, the republic of Habinask is lies at the heart of the industrial revolution in Sipwika, and it is the empire’s largest, most prosperous and advanced society. The Habinaski number over 113 million people and roughly half - or about 60 million - call the republic home.

Mimajuinu: The Mimajuinu are oldest ethnic group in Sipwika and the the second largest at roughly 20 million people. They speak Mimajuin and reside almost entirely within the Confederacy of Seasons. Iyamakism originated within the region, and the Mimajuinu are credited with spreading the religion throughout Sipwika during Gespenaji Empire. Because of the Mimajuinu’s coastal location, the culture has long been influenced by both river and sea, and the Mimajuinu are among the most global people in Sipwika – having been influenced by Hanayakan, Yannish, and Amajin culture.

Vestaxi: The Vestaxi are the third largest ethnic group in in Sipwika at roughly 12 million people. While Vestaxi have lived in the Atayohkate for as long as it has existed, the Republican Principality of Vestaxe was annexed during the Pan-Anarian War in an effort to counter New Hapsburg’s eastward push. A traditionally coastal people, the Vestaxi worshipped the religion of the Broken god – a second offshoot of Iyamakanism – and were long the subject of religious persecution by the Atayohkate. Since the annexation of Vestaxe, the Atayohkate has devoted considerable resources towards appeasing the Vestaxi – including but not limited to modernizing and industrializing Vestaxe’s economy, granting the region the status of republic, and permitting it to retain a monarch. While this has earned the ire of other peoples within the Atayohkate – many of whom regard the Vestaxi as heretical freeloaders – it has lessened resentment among the younger population within the Republican Principality.

Peiku, Nok, and Upipaamuh: The Peiku, Nok and Upippamuh are northern peoples residing along Altaia’s arctic coast. Semi-nomadic in nature, they migrate southward during the long-winters caused by the Tyreal-Gothal Decadal Oscillation and return north during the long-summers.

Flag:
I couldn't come up with a better flag, so I'm just reusing this one Smile

[Image: attachment.php?aid=253]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)