Gotha date; RH

Poll: How to make the Amajin fit the Atlas?
Shift to Sriaav identity based in Kamura
Move elsewhere in Gotha more fitting for migrations
Leave the Amajin as they are
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Going forward with the Amajin
09-08-2017, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 05:54 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Going forward with the Amajin
So you know I intend for the Amajin to be a Yaemic group (Dali right now) who migrated to Northwest Davai from steppes of central Davai. I'm so far in and now being met with confusion as to why the Amajin aren't West Davaian enough. I wrote a history on it: They came from the eastern end of the continent and brought their language (Kurdish/Persian) and customs with them relatively recently. This is why they are distinct from the indigenous groups of the region.

I am willing to come to a compromise that will reconcile the migration narrative with the atlas if other players call for it. Among the options includes:

1) Shifting the Amajin to the Sriaav group and basing them in Kamura proper. The ethnic map in the atlas shows that the Sriaav are a Yaemic isolate with a possible origin beyond West Davai. The language map does not specify a linguistic group and Japanese has been accounted for by the Kakuri, though it could still play a part in my concept. (Expect me to cling on to some or all of the land I currently have for this option).

2) The most radical option, upping sticks and moving to a different region of Gotha altogether. Front-runner for this option is Southern Anaria and exploiting a migration of Biazriite peoples out of Tharna. In this case the Amajin would become an Ilista derived people with a language akin to Maltese.

3) We accept the Amajin as they are and let the concept carry on as it is.
09-08-2017, 06:31 PM
RE: Going forward with the Amajin
As you currently have it, what percentage of the people of the Amajin Republic are the Amajin ethnicity (Dali)? What percentage are native (I think it is Penduan)?

09-08-2017, 06:47 PM
60% Amajin (They're not strictly Dali, just derived from them linguistically and culturally) and 7% Penduan. The latter in my lore were relatively undeveloped reindeer herders like the Evenk or Sami and got swamped. Yan and Sriaav have larger minorities than the natives due to more advanced agriculture and a better climate where they live. Generally speaking most Kisaga was wild and untamed when the Amajin arrived there after passing the overcrowded Yan Basin.
09-08-2017, 08:52 PM
The migration is not so much a problem as the Penduan being replaced with Dali. You will run into similar opposition if you do the same thing anywhere else.

My suggestion is to keep all the work you have done but change your ethnic percentages.

One option is to make the Dali population a small (less than 20%) but powerful minority.

Another option is to not have a distinct Dali ethnicity. If you look at the migration map (http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/images/..._Map.jpg), the Penduan population could have originated in central Davai. Just have the Amajin be a subset of the most recent migration of Penduan peoples from central Davai.

09-08-2017, 09:05 PM
At risk of belaboring the point, the ethnicity map was created to prevent out of place ethnic groups. It is best to think of the ethnicity map as a snap shot of the current state of Botha's ethnic populations. The reason for this is that, in the past, we have had worlds were Indians and Romans lived in adjacent nations with zero cultural transfer. It bordered on ludicrous.

09-08-2017, 09:12 PM
(09-08-2017 08:52 PM)El Jeffe Wrote:  Another option is to not have a distinct Dali ethnicity. If you look at the migration map (http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/images/..._Map.jpg), the Penduan population could have originated in central Davai. Just have the Amajin be a subset of the most recent migration of Penduan peoples from central Davai.

In the Amajin origin thread, you already have the three different migrations of people. Instead of the Amajin being the Rojavi and the Basuri, they could be descended from the Laskari people? And the Rojavi and the Basuri were the original migrations that happened somewhere between 9000-5000 years ago?

09-08-2017, 09:32 PM
How about I half the Amajin to 30% and put most of the rest onto the Penduan.

30% Amajin, 50% Penduan, 20% Other.

You could have a Normans/Saxons type relationship between the two groups with the Amajin being sent to crush the Penduan on behalf of Yan and claiming the land for themselves. The Penduan would have to play a much more prominent role in the state with these percentages.

You're link didn't work but I've a copy of the migration map anyway.
09-08-2017, 09:55 PM
So long as they are not a majority, I think you are OK. The ethnic map is the average. So the average Amajin is Penduan per the map. What is the 20% other? Why not 70% Penduan?

09-08-2017, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 10:11 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(09-08-2017 09:55 PM)El Jeffe Wrote:  So long as they are not a majority, I think you are OK. The ethnic map is the average. So the average Amajin is Penduan per the map. What is the 20% other? Why not 70% Penduan?

That would be due to Sriaav and Samzayid settlement tipping the population. I might reduce the Yan to insignificance though and have the Shiraav repatriated and have mostly Amajin and Natives (Penduan and Samzayids). The latter live north of the mountains.

Quote:In the Amajin origin thread, you already have the three different migrations of people. Instead of the Amajin being the Rojavi and the Basuri, they could be descended from the Laskari people? And the Rojavi and the Basuri were the original migrations that happened somewhere between 9000-5000 years ago?

I'd like to keep the subgroups as is if it isn't too much. The Laskari are largely irrelevant to the current lore and I like the idea of a diaspora setting up in a distant new land after being out of home. The Rojavi and Basuri represent different roots and influences which adds to a vibrant Amajin culture.

I feel I should ask: Where would the Amajin geographically belong in Gotha? I'm assuming around the vicinity of Laskarham. I might be tempted to simply move them to more harmonious location.
09-09-2017, 02:06 AM
(09-08-2017 10:05 PM)TeamBattleaxe Wrote:  I feel I should ask: Where would the Amajin geographically belong in Gotha? I'm assuming around the vicinity of Laskarham. I might be tempted to simply move them to more harmonious location.

No one is exactly sure what modern population is closest to the Tarim mummies or if they were the same as the Tocharians. Pretty hard to say what modern earth ethnographic location they would be closest to.

As I understand it, you intend to have a very European looking isolate that is inspired by the more fantastical possibilities the Tarim mummies suggest. In that case, they would be a closer fit to the European-looking Anarian populations.

Personally, I find this idea to be FANTASTIC. It is very original and interesting. BUT if you want a country run by a truly European-looking isolate on literally the other side of the world, I suggest you make them a small - almost inbred - ruling caste that has refused over the centuries to mix with the local population. Otherwise, I don't see how they made such a huge migration without basically being absorbed by the native populations and eventually developing a non-Anarian phenotype. Alternatively you could make the Amajin Republic geographically much smaller so that your European looking people are a small minority regionally but a majority within their small republic. Still you need a good cultural reason why they weren't absorbed into the population that surrounds them.

As an interesting aside, I had my YDNA tested and my haplogroup is the same as the Tarim mummies (Western European R1A1). We are a pretty awesome and well travelled blood line of Aryan Viking Highlanders.