Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Draft of a Fine Map of the Amajin Republic
09-19-2017, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2017 12:46 AM by TeamBattleaxe.)
A Draft of a Fine Map of the Amajin Republic
Here is a link to the map in Imgur:

https://imgur.com/JJJhXCq

First off, I would like to thank Cody and Brian for having sent me materials to help produce this.

The map is intended to be a big image which incidentally allows the borders to become more prominent at a closer zoom while letting the topography show through relatively unblemished when zoomed further out. I like the contrast between the Republic and outside territories as it draws your attention towards the purpose of the map which is to show both the physical and human geography of the Amajin Republic.

The map uses a Wilbur file of the region Brian kindly sent to me and a border map which lines up perfectly. I quickly exported the .mdr to a .png for use in GIMP and got to work producing this and getting familiar with advanced map-making. I want to clean up the Hwandeon Isles if possible with Wilbur or Ft. Other than that I happy to keep working with this.

The markers used were StarRaven's Sketchy Cartography Brushes (https://starraven.deviantart.com/art/Ske...198264358) which a kind redditor linked to me. I would like some more map brushes though, which would be more appropriate for a national map in Gotha's setting.

There'll be plenty more work to do before the final map is done which may some time. All the while it's good to be picking up something new! What do you guys think so far?

Extra: On the Hwandeon Isles, which map should be cannon, the one show here with a larger main island or the more fractured archipelago seen on the atlas maps?
09-19-2017, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2017 08:47 PM by Merrix.)
RE: A Draft of a Fine Map of the Amajin Republic
I think you're on the right track to depict physical and human geography. It's easy to tell the icons apart (shape and size), the topography stands out, and the map doesn't feel busy.

One change I would recommend is the placement of the cities/settlements themselves. Most of your population resides along the southern coast and the Hwandeon Isles, but your map draws the eye to the mid-southern interior because of the numerous settlement icons. I would take most of those icons and concentrate them along the coast and around your larger cities. This would give the viewer a sense of population density and migratory/settlement history.
09-20-2017, 12:42 AM
Quote:One change I would recommend is the placement of the cities/settlements themselves. Most of your population resides along the southern coast and the Hwandeon Isles

Indeed it does. The icons on the map were actually a personal distinction I made between mining, lumber and pastoral settlements in the frontier regions. They are not indicative of where most of the population lives and the final map will show this. I'll place as many settlements as I can name!
09-21-2017, 05:03 AM
Thumbs Down RE: A Draft of a Fine Map of the Amajin Republic
(To preface this is my first post so sorry that I'm kinda coming at out of nowhere.)
First I really like the geographic location of the major cities as they make a lot of sense, along rivers, strategically defensible locations, and of course coastal spots. Second, I appreciate the level of detail that must have gone into making this map. Finally, I really like how the the boarder forts, at least that's what I assume they are as the deviantart page won't work for me, are placed in strategic choke points.

Just a bit of advice, moving forward I would put small settlements along the rivers. For early settlement it would just make more sense for them to be there for trade and transportation, especially on river that ends in a major city as any goods they may produce have a prime market to be sold at, and an easy way to get there. I believe you have some, agin no devianart page, but I feel there should be more.

Great job though.
09-21-2017, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:49 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Thank you Shrap and welcome! This draft was me just getting familiar with the different tools at my disposal. The final map will have settlements in the right places near rivers and natural harbours. Most of the smaller icons in the interior are centres of raw material production which I wanted to mark down to visualise how these areas will be connected. For the final map I'll probably start with the major cities and surrounding regions and expand the infrastructure from there, it'll look most natural.
09-28-2017, 10:57 PM
looks good! if you're going for a political / physical combination map - you might consider using a combination of the shader image (lightened) and some elevation lines... and perhaps a smaller physical map (may an inset) with more contrast between the elevations
10-02-2017, 04:02 PM
My main priority at the moment is to make the rivers more visible. I'm quite happy to work with the map I've shown here and bring the nation to life with settlements and roads etc. I'd also like to define the coastlines as well.