Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
11-08-2017, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 12:40 AM by TeamBattleaxe.)
[New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
(This is a replacement proposal of the Amajin Republic and is intended to be more modest in size and influence. Much of the creative work that has gone into the Amajin will be reapplied with tweaks to this new Sriaav-majority nation if it is approved. This change of proposal allows me to reconcile the story I want to tell with the world as shown in the Gotha Atlas.)

Khatuni Kamuraav/Khatuni Jiranaav

Territories: 7073-78, 7114-25, 7161-65, 7178, 7232-7264

Population: est. 63.3 million
Armed Forces Personnel: est. 1.5 million
Naval Points: 803
Air Points: 259
GDP: 1.24 billion G

[Image: buVXyVc.png?1]

The Khatuni Kamuraav ('Empire of the Kamurans'), also known as Khatuni Jiranaav ('Empire of the Amazons') or colloquially as Kamura, is nation located mostly on the islands of Kamura and adjacent regions of the North Shangti. It model of government has power vested in an Empress who since the Jiran Ascendancy has obtained her office through a meritocracy derived from one of two matriarchal power structures. The first of these ruling classes is the Jiran who are a martial class of female warriors that can trace their origins all the way back to the bodyguard of the Kamuri, the god-queens of early Sriaav history. The second class, though no less prestigious, are the Deyan who in many cases have served as Jiran formally but who take charge in civilian spheres of trade and administration and as well as opting to have children and hold positions as clan mothers.

The dominant ethnicity of the Khatunate is the Sriaav people who form an overwhelming percentage of the population on the Home Islands. They have lived in Kamura for at least 3000 years and established the Muurvan and Hanayakaav Civilisations prior to the revolution that officially placed the current order in power. The Sriaav speak a language that is considered an isolate and is unrelated to other West Davaian language groups. Some linguists have proposed a possible connection to the Yaemic languages of North and Central Davai and suggested the ancestors of the Sriaav were part of a large prehistoric migration across the Northwestern Davai before they established an enduring presence on the Kamura Isles. Other ethnic minorities are mostly natives to occupied outlying islands and mainland possessions of the Khatunate. Among the most prominent of these groups are the Hwando, a Samzayid people native to the Hwandeon Archipelago and Penduan and Xiangren minorities living along the Davaian coasts which are under Kamuran sovereignty.

With the onset of the Industrial Revolution in Ithrien and Anaria from the 7300's onwards and growth in global trade networks, new technologies and ideas have found their way into Kamura and the Jiranaav have responded to the expanding influence of Anarian powers in it's near abroad by employing a 'catch up, overtake' socio-economic policy. At the present, Kamura and it's citizens enjoy living standards and a level of sophistication comparable to other industrialised powers for the most part though it is still regarded as a junior power with it's maximum potential far from met. Geo-politically, Kamura occupies very strategic territories around the Northern Shangti Sea that effectively ensnare maritime access to West Davai. Being an island nation with a rich naval heritage, Kamura has developed into a formidable maritime power that can effectively defend it's shores and project it's power across the region.

EDIT: I have expanded the proposal a little to include more of the South Kisagan coast which would likely have been culturally assimilated by Sriaav settlers. These regions could potentially serve as an entry point to a 'Pale of Settlement' on the Peninsula which I may develop further down the line.
11-10-2017, 08:43 PM
RE: [New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
Interesting proposal. Can I ask, just out of interest, why you want to replace the Amajin Republic?

As for the proposal itself, I like it. I am pleased to see you are still going with the matriarchal society (moving a matriarchal society to an island chain off the corner of a continent might satisfy some of the more sceptical players as to its existence! Tongue ). So, it being a meritocracy, how does the Empress gain power? And is the system of government a total autocracy or are there other elements of power sharing?

I'm also interested in seeing how the nation interacts with the Anarians.

11-10-2017, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 10:51 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(11-10-2017 08:43 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Interesting proposal. Can I ask, just out of interest, why you want to replace the Amajin Republic?

I came to feel that the Amajin concept as it was, was too divergent from the Gotha setting prior to me starting out. I didn't think it fair for me to impose an exception for my project while other later players will likely (and probably should) stick closer to canon with regards to anthropology in particular. I decided, rather than either continue on with the AR as it is or alter it to the point where it was no longer a honest expression of what I imagined, that I should just rehash the whole thing afresh. I also found the existing lore surrounding Kamura and the Sriaav to be fascinating and wanted to develop it further.

Quote:As for the proposal itself, I like it. I am pleased to see you are still going with the matriarchal society (moving a matriarchal society to an island chain off the corner of a continent might satisfy some of the more sceptical players as to its existence! Tongue ). So, it being a meritocracy, how does the Empress gain power? And is the system of government a total autocracy or are there other elements of power sharing?

A major driver behind shifting to Kamura was not to disrupt other players too much with such a radical change and I still feel West Davai is a place that should be a development priority in future. I also wanted to keep my concept recognisably similar to the Amajin so I can carry much of my work over since it would be a shame to have wasted all that effort.

In terms of how the Jiranaav (a succinct word for the matriarchal culture complex) got to Kamura, they are still descended from a migration from North Central Davai you can see on relevant atlas maps. They have however been settled for quite some time but are linguistically and ethnically distinct from their neighbours been an isolate group with distant relation to Yaemics.

The government is not as democratic as the AR, being a more elitist and imperial administration. It's not wholly operated by women, their are still powerful male players but the throne is always occupied by a woman selected from the most competent matriarchs of the civil and military spheres. The position of Empress was initially inspired by the Kumari tradition of Nepal IRL but developed into an office similar to the Queens of the Mongol Empire, who if you've researched them will know them to have been formidable. It is effectively an elective monarchy.

Other influential institutions in the Empire are the Jiran and Deyan (who I've covered in the first post) and the Armed Forces, especially the Navy. I'm thinking there should be an Imperial Diet to provide a link between commoners and the highest office but this will have limited powers. Educational and Religious/Philosophical institutions will also wield significant lobbying power as well as powerful clans and business magnates.

Quote:I'm also interested in seeing how the nation interacts with the Anarians.

Well for starters they have plenty in common with the Ambrians, hopefully that shouldn't be too much in common. As to whether this alleviates tension between them, the Kamurans have their own interests in the region and may not take well to foreigners from distant shores sticking their nose in. Kamura will be aligned with Shangti Way which Merrix is putting together and is a counter-Anarian organisation of Shangti powers.
12-02-2017, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 10:02 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
After a long period of procrastination I've finally got around to fleshing out a history of my new concept.

A History of the Kamuran Nation

Prehistoric

The large scale Yaemic migrations of the early post-glacial era brought sizeable numbers of Central Davaian people westward and across North-western Davai. These migrants reached as far as what would become the Kamura Isles which are believed to have still been connected to Kisaga when the first groups arrived. Whereas on the mainland Yaemic settlers were assimilated overtime into Davaian ethno-cultural groups, with rising sea-levels the early Sriaav people were isolated on the shrunken islands of Kamura and due to the temperate climate and success at overwhelming the original natives were able to establish a culture unique to the region. Due to their geographical situation they have been able to preserve their language which is distantly related to other Yaemic languages albeit with some significant differences.

The Sriaav also look observably distinct from other peoples of West Davai, having paler skin, longer faces, slighter builds with green eyes being a fairly common occurrence. The later trait was one of the observations used by Gothan anthropologists to suppose a possible link to other Yaemic peoples who also express green eyes with some regularity. Like other West Davaians, Sriaav mostly tend to have dark hair and epicanthic folds.

Ancient Era

Known as the Muurvan Era, this began with the dawn of recorded history on the Kamura Isles and is marked by the rise of a civilisation of the same name, the earliest of the Sriaav civilasations. The nature of Muurvan society is not fully understood despite their attempts to record their existance. It was understood to have risen as a complex agricultural society focused on the large core islands of Ichisa and Kamura proper and through the course of the era, exported it's culture and practices across the Sriaav inhabited world, including all of the Kamuran archipelogo. Beyond it's core though it is beleived that Muurvan was quite decentralised with tribal leaders on the peripheral islands effectively maintaining their soverignity. Despite this limitation, it is clear that during this era the practice of Kamuri veneration was becoming a centrepiece of Sriaav culture. The Kamuri was the first manisfestation of Divine Queenship, in the form of a young woman who was nominated as the chosen representative of the Mother Goddess. Though the core isles were consolidated under one Kamuri, the less intergated polities are known to have nominated their own Kamuri during the later Muurvan Era. This situation however would not last and the rise of Muurvan's succesors would bring about a unifacation of all the Sriaav under one true Kamuri after whom the isles and the nation that lived upon them would come to be named.

Middle Era

This was the Hanayakav Era, an era marked by the rise of the Hanayaka dynasty, a thassolacratic house that established a dynasty of divine queens lasting centuries. With their wars of ascension, the Hanayaka reforged the office of Kamuri into a throne upon which true Empresses, referred as the Khatun, sat. No longer were these shy young girls used as mere figureheads but women who were trained in the use of power and influence to guide the hearts of their subjects with the backing of their house's monopoly on sea trade and the Kamuran fleet used to regulate the flow of trade between the islands and the outside world. When needed the Thassilocracy could choke rebels on outlying islands by cutting goods to their ports and denying them access to luxuries beyond their islands. The Hanayaka used their sea power to maintain a choke-hold on access to their ports and managed to contain the naval ambitions of large mainland empires based in Yan and Xian. At a time when land routes between Davai and Raia were difficult to traverse due to thick jungles, rugged terrain and brigands, moving goods by sea was considered relatively safe. With this reality, favourable geography, trade monopolies and maritime expertise, Kamuran ships under the Hanayaka accounted for most ferried trade traffic between West Davai and Raia, connecting traders from as far afield as Ithrien to Yan and the various South Shangti trade hubs.

The Hanayaka's maritime achievements also brought about a outward looking mindset that fostered an era of exploration that lead to the Kamuran expeditions to Altaia and the establishment of trade settlements on the Eastern Seaboard of the continent, facilitating a trade exchange with the Habinaski Civilisation and the Itzomal to the south. This brough new goods like tomatoes, chillies, chocolate and tobacco to Davaian markets. By the 7300's RH the Ithrieni Industrial Revolution was well underway and Kamura's access to a varied host of sought after goods from Davai and Altaia ensured that Kamuran merchants could successfully barter with the Ithrieni in exchange for new technologies and know-how.

Modern Era

The later Hanayaka Era was marked by a break in the fortunes of Kamura, with the rise of Anarian powers who began an encroachment on the Shangti Sea and Kamura trade routes. Though the Kamuran navy maintained a premium on naval access to West Davai due to it's proximity and geography, the alternative of Anarian clippers was made available to Altaian and Raian ports, reinforced by the might of Anarian navies and this effectively broke the Kamuran trade monopoly. Along with this several of Kamura's trade partners were also able to commence production of many of the luxury goods that had become the staple of Kamuran sea trade following the eventual leaking of key trade secrets and increased smuggling and piracy. With increasing economic hardship, the rise of print media and perceived social inequality at home, the cracks were starting to show in the regime. Various peripheral states and rebellious sections of society were start to challenge the Hanayaka's hold on power. Outer islands and overseas colonies that rose up in revolt could new bank on Anarian clandestine support to resupply them and privateers and corsairs were utilised by both sides to harass opposing fleets against of backdrop of increasing disorder in the Shangti Sea.

Following the loss of the colonies of the Altaian Reach, the game was up for the Hanayaka and a mix of social unrest and loss of confidence by the military and the keys to power led to an engineered coup, called the 'Kamuran Revolution' toppling the old dynasty and replacing it with an elected Khatunate the selected potential leaders from the matriarchal institutions that had build up tremendous influence and power in Kamuran society, the Deyan and Jiran. Under this model the tradition of Divine Queenship continues as Kamura progressively recovers from a period of instability to reassert it's power in the region and restore old glory.

A Flag for the Nation

[Image: cbTOMGz.png]

Magenta and Gold are the national colours of Kamura and the Pheasant is the signature animal of the Khatun.
12-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Nice to see some more development of this great proposal!

The narrative of decline which then led to the Kamuran revolution will be very interesting to expand on, as will modern Kamura's desire to reclaim its former glory and reassert its power in the wake of increasing Anarian pressure.

I also really like the new flag. Nice!

12-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I have got some more history written up surrounding the Revolution and how it came about but I have to tweak it to my liking. Should be up in a couple of days.

I've made the most of Kamura's geo-political positioning while shaping its history and interactions with the world. I think of Kamura as a being the original exploring nation similar to the Portuguese as it has similar advantages and due to Gotha's geography was in a great position to take advantage of a great exchange between Altaia and Davai/Raia. Then the Anarians turn up on the scene and undermined her elaborate trade system.

I like the flag too! The Magenta symbolises the fruits of the sea (including a rare sea slug that produces an expensive dye of the same colour) and Gold is of religious significance. More on that another time.
01-17-2018, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 10:03 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
The Kamuran 'Revolution'
(Apologies for the delay, Christmas and all that. This follows on from the previous posts.)

The Kamuran 'Revolution'

The straw that broke the back of the Hanayaka Dynasty was the seccesionist rebellion of the Altaian Reach, a sizable conglomeration of Sriaav states in North-Eastern Altaia across the Arctic Straits from Kamura. With impressive military reasources of their own and the support of foriegn powers, a number of oppertunistic colonial governors grouped together to establish a soverign republic of their own. The Hanayaka sent a large military force to take back the States but the fervour of the opposition and reluctance by Imperial commanders to be ruthess with those they regarded as fellow countrymen led to a retreat from Altaia by the Hanayaka force despite orders from the last Hanayaka Khatun to crush the seccessionists. Faced with the possible spread of dissention to the Davaian possessions and the Kamura Isles themselves that military and administrative establishment were left with a choice, let things slide towards anarchy or do something.

As the Hanayaka Dynasty ruled over successive generations, the Khatun had increasingly deligated power to various power structures including the Army, Navy, the Deyan and Palace institutions such as her Special Bodyguard, the Jiran, an all female amazonian guard who traced their line back to the Muurven Era. Senior Deyan and Jiran had held a spacial role as confidentes of the Khatun with wider connections to their repective institutions and society in general. While the Deyan tended to hail from aristocractic backgrounds and major clans, the Jiran were often recruited from the lower classes and their organisation offered an alternative path of upward social mobility of underprivilaged women. Far from being an small personal bodygaurd, the Jiran had become a large body of imperial power projection across Sriaav society by the late Hanayaka Era and was largely responsible for the guarding of temples, shrines and holy sites across the country. These public places become hives of social activism during the times of turbulance following the loss of the Reach. Jira were often found consoling concerned citizens with whom many could indentify.

When the decision to remove the Hanayaka from power was made, the plan was to engineer the coup to look like a popular revolution. The Jiran mobilised an army of argent provocatours to act as defectors to the people's cause and bring the many disperate groups of the opposition together behind one patriotic movement with the Jiran at it's head. Hanayaka loyalists, mostly their own marines took positions in the capital, denying a growing number of protesters access to the centres of government. Things came to a head when the loyalists fired on protesters, anticipating that they would be backed up by the Deyan and the Army, however that was when the hammerblow fell. The Dayika, supreme matriarch of the Deyan announced that the Hanayaka Khatun should abdicate and allow a new Khatun to be nominated just as in ancient times. In response the Hanayaka Khatun fled to Naval headquarters which was under the sway of the imperial house, all the while the revolutionaries siezed the Capital. The loyalists ordered their gunboats to bombard the city and the other side returned fire with artilery. In the end however, all was lost when the navy itself suffered major defections by clans and factions disillusioned by Hanayaka domination. Surrounded on one side by a land based Jiran led force and on the other by the revolutionary fleet, they were forced to surrender in order to smoothen the transition of power for fear a weakened fleet would cost Kamura dearly against the threat of Anarian meddling in the region.

Following the revolution, the new Khatun was chosen in the form of the Supreme Commander of the Jiran and so the modern Khatuni Jiranaav was born and since then every Khatun has been elected by a limited franchise of institutional bureaucrats. This practice has stayed true to the office of Khatun remaining a sacred office of divine representation.
01-17-2018, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 10:06 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
The Geopolitics of Kamura

I. An Island Nation in the Shangti – Kamura is located on a volcanic island arc that has at times been connected to mainland Davai, which has shaped its biosphere and the course of historic migrations. The last instance of a land connection with Davai was some 4000 years ago when Yaemic migrants made the crossing and gave rise to the Sriaav peoples. When the waters rose the sea came to serve as both a barrier and later a highway which protected the expression of the islanders unique culture while allowing the Kamuran nation to morph over the centuries into a premier maritime power.

II. The Purse Strings of West Davai – The islands of Kamura and the Sriaav cultural sphere occupies a long chain that strands the gap between Kisaga and Xian effectively separating the seas upon which the ports of Yan and Xian open from the open waters of the Shangti. As such, from Hanayakav times the Kamuran Empire has secured her control over Davaian maritime trade with ease while making it hard for its rivals on the mainland to compete. She managed to do this by effectively patrolling the straits between her islands and blocking access to defiant upstarts to the order she imposed.

III. A Bridge Between Worlds – Kamura's position granted it exclusive, uninhibited access to the Shangti Circular Current. This combined with a geography that encouraged the development of her maritime outlook led to Kamuran sailors charting course around the Shangti Ocean early in her history. They thus established long-lasting trade contacts with two continents beyond Davai, Altaia to the West and Raia to the South. With these contacts Kamuran traders did not simply impose a toll on Davaian trade but brought new goods of their own acquired from overseas, including Chocolate, Coffee and Spices which were highly sought after in Davai and lands beyond.

IV. A New Set of Challenges – By the 7500's, with the accumulative effects of historical events that led to industrialisation in several regions of the world and Anarian Colonialism, the Kamuran Jiranaav Regime finds itself facing a potential set of new rivals who could see Kamura's power broken and possibly even cleave the nation apart to serve their goals in Davai. The Anarian advances in technology are what have prompted rising alarm from Kamuran interest groups with quiet acknowledgement that these foreign powers could overwhelm her unless Kamura undertakes innovation of a similar kind, principally starting with a modernised naval fleet.

V. Consolidation of her 'Near Abroad'- It has not been lost on Kamuran leaders that the rise of the railway and modern air and sea travel has somewhat compromised the Kamuran position of exclusive access in West Davai. It has become possible that foreign powers could try to secure alternate access routes to the markets of Yan and other regional states either via the Arctic Seaboard or from the Davaian Interior along the old 'silk route'. Industrialisation has also brought about a demand for raw materials which are of limited supply on the Kamura Isles but Kisaga has an abundance of just about every major resource Kamura's industries would want. Another avenue of consolidation could be repatriation of the Altaian Reach which seceded before the Revolution but could be invited back into the fold diplomatically once the motivating grievances behind the secession have been redressed.
01-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Nice one. If it was up to me, you could develop further in the wiki.

About "An Island nation in the Shiangti". If we keep the timeframe in mind (1908-1920) than concepts like rising sea levels due to post glacial events, or plate tectonics, those are all unknown in that time. It's good to have an idea about this, but we know more than those poor Gothans do...

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
01-24-2018, 10:09 PM
The Kamuran Language

Kamuran (Kamuraavan) is the national language of the Kamuran Empire and the most prominent of the Sriaav languages which belong to the Yaemic family (or so it has been surmised by linguists). These languages have been developing in isolation from the rest of their family for at least 4000 years and are the surviving remnant of the Yaemic migrations. They have diverged significantly from other languages and are wholly different from the languages of regions surrounding Kamura though their has been some degree of aerial exchange of words and terms between Sriaav and neighbouring Davaian populations.

The most characteristic aspects of Kamuran are it's compound structure and use of suffixes that make it stand out markedly among Gothan languages. Examples of suffixes commonly used in Kamuran include:

a – Singular suffix to denote an individual. Feminine. Example: Jira – Female Warrior.
ak – Singular suffix. Masculine. Example: Jirak – Male Warrior.
ra – Plural suffix to denote a group entity. Example: Kamura.
av - Plural suffix which is possessive. Example: Kamuraav – 'Of the Kamurans'.
an – Suffix that is either plural or affiliative. Examples: Jiran – Female Imperial Guard or Kamuraavan – Relating to or characteristic of the Kamuran nation i.e the language.

The real world equivalent inspirations will be drawn from Japanese and Turkic sounds based on the now defunct Altaic language group. RW research indicates that Japonic languages could be 'Para-Austronesian' and any connection between Japanese and Turkic languages has been dismissed. In the case of Gotha let say there is a genuine connection between Japonic and Turkic languages, though this of course has dramatically affected how our Japanese language equivalent sounds. Think of this as a go at linguistic alternate history. I also know that Pepijn is using Japanese for the Kakuri who are situated thousands of miles from the Kamurans. I'm unsure how the two groups would be related to one another at this stage but based on current linguistic understanding they speak languages belonging to different families.

The Kamuran language will be my attempt at a conlang though be aware I'm a novice at this area of world-building. It is mostly done for aesthetic purposes and drawn from previous work on the Sriaav. I would imagine a people referred to as the 'Sriaav' would not sound very Japanese anyway so there is another reason to innovate. I'm not promising a whole lexicon, just providing a little continuity to the naming practices of regions and institutions and the such. This should get me by for now with the naming conventions.