Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
11-08-2017, 07:29 PM
[New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
(This is a replacement proposal of the Amajin Republic and is intended to be more modest in size and influence. Much of the creative work that has gone into the Amajin will be reapplied with tweaks to this new Sriaav-majority nation if it is approved. This change of proposal allows me to reconcile the story I want to tell with the world as shown in the Gotha Atlas.)

Khatuni Kamuraav/Khatuni Jiranaav

Territories: 7073-76, 7115, 7120, 7123-25, 7161-65, 7178, 7236-7264

Population: est. 45.5 million
Armed Forces Personnel: est. 1.3 million
Naval Points: 706
Air Points: 228
GDP: 924 million G

[Image: 7sQGtws.png?1]

The Khatuni Kamuraav ('Empire of the Kamurans'), also known as Khatuni Jiranaav ('Empire of the Amazons') or colloquially as Kamura, is nation located mostly on the islands of Kamura and adjacent regions of the North Shangti. It model of government has power vested in an Empress who since the Jiran Ascendancy has obtained her office through a meritocracy derived from one of two matriarchal power structures. The first of these ruling classes is the Jiran who are a martial class of female warriors that can trace their origins all the way back to the bodyguard of the Kamuri, the god-queens of early Sriaav history. The second class, though no less prestigious, are the Deyan who in many cases have served as Jiran formally but who take charge in civilian spheres of trade and administration and as well as opting to have children and hold positions as clan mothers.

The dominant ethnicity of the Khatunate is the Sriaav people who form an overwhelming percentage of the population on the Home Islands. They have lived in Kamura for at least 3000 years and established the Muurvan and Hanayakaav Civilisations prior to the revolution that officially placed the current order in power. The Sriaav speak a language that is considered an isolate and is unrelated to other West Davaian language groups. Some linguists have proposed a possible connection to the Yaemic languages of North and Central Davai and suggested the ancestors of the Sriaav were part of a large prehistoric migration across the Northwestern Davai before they established an enduring presence on the Kamura Isles. Other ethnic minorities are mostly natives to occupied outlying islands and mainland possessions of the Khatunate. Among the most prominent of these groups are the Hwando, a Samzayid people native to the Hwandeon Archipelago and Penduan and Xiangren minorities living along the Davaian coasts which are under Kamuran sovereignty.

With the onset of the Industrial Revolution in Ithrien and Anaria from the 7300's onwards and growth in global trade networks, new technologies and ideas have found their way into Kamura and the Jiranaav have responded to the expanding influence of Anarian powers in it's near abroad by employing a 'catch up, overtake' socio-economic policy. At the present, Kamura and it's citizens enjoy living standards and a level of sophistication comparable to other industrialised powers for the most part though it is still regarded as a junior power with it's maximum potential far from met. Geo-politically, Kamura occupies very strategic territories around the Northern Shangti Sea that effectively ensnare maritime access to West Davai. Being an island nation with a rich naval heritage, Kamura has developed into a formidable maritime power that can effectively defend it's shores and project it's power across the region.
11-10-2017, 08:43 PM
RE: [New Proposal] Khatuni Kamuraav
Interesting proposal. Can I ask, just out of interest, why you want to replace the Amajin Republic?

As for the proposal itself, I like it. I am pleased to see you are still going with the matriarchal society (moving a matriarchal society to an island chain off the corner of a continent might satisfy some of the more sceptical players as to its existence! Tongue ). So, it being a meritocracy, how does the Empress gain power? And is the system of government a total autocracy or are there other elements of power sharing?

I'm also interested in seeing how the nation interacts with the Anarians.

11-10-2017, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 10:51 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(11-10-2017 08:43 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Interesting proposal. Can I ask, just out of interest, why you want to replace the Amajin Republic?

I came to feel that the Amajin concept as it was, was too divergent from the Gotha setting prior to me starting out. I didn't think it fair for me to impose an exception for my project while other later players will likely (and probably should) stick closer to canon with regards to anthropology in particular. I decided, rather than either continue on with the AR as it is or alter it to the point where it was no longer a honest expression of what I imagined, that I should just rehash the whole thing afresh. I also found the existing lore surrounding Kamura and the Sriaav to be fascinating and wanted to develop it further.

Quote:As for the proposal itself, I like it. I am pleased to see you are still going with the matriarchal society (moving a matriarchal society to an island chain off the corner of a continent might satisfy some of the more sceptical players as to its existence! Tongue ). So, it being a meritocracy, how does the Empress gain power? And is the system of government a total autocracy or are there other elements of power sharing?

A major driver behind shifting to Kamura was not to disrupt other players too much with such a radical change and I still feel West Davai is a place that should be a development priority in future. I also wanted to keep my concept recognisably similar to the Amajin so I can carry much of my work over since it would be a shame to have wasted all that effort.

In terms of how the Jiranaav (a succinct word for the matriarchal culture complex) got to Kamura, they are still descended from a migration from North Central Davai you can see on relevant atlas maps. They have however been settled for quite some time but are linguistically and ethnically distinct from their neighbours been an isolate group with distant relation to Yaemics.

The government is not as democratic as the AR, being a more elitist and imperial administration. It's not wholly operated by women, their are still powerful male players but the throne is always occupied by a woman selected from the most competent matriarchs of the civil and military spheres. The position of Empress was initially inspired by the Kumari tradition of Nepal IRL but developed into an office similar to the Queens of the Mongol Empire, who if you've researched them will know them to have been formidable. It is effectively an elective monarchy.

Other influential institutions in the Empire are the Jiran and Deyan (who I've covered in the first post) and the Armed Forces, especially the Navy. I'm thinking there should be an Imperial Diet to provide a link between commoners and the highest office but this will have limited powers. Educational and Religious/Philosophical institutions will also wield significant lobbying power as well as powerful clans and business magnates.

Quote:I'm also interested in seeing how the nation interacts with the Anarians.

Well for starters they have plenty in common with the Ambrians, hopefully that shouldn't be too much in common. As to whether this alleviates tension between them, the Kamurans have their own interests in the region and may not take well to foreigners from distant shores sticking their nose in. Kamura will be aligned with Shangti Way which Merrix is putting together and is a counter-Anarian organisation of Shangti powers.
12-02-2017, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 10:33 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
After a long period of procrastination I've finally got around to fleshing out a history of my new concept.

A History of the Kamuran Nation

Prehistoric

The large scale Yaemic migrations of the early post-glacial era brought sizeable numbers of Central Davaian people, believed to have born significant similarities to the Loura, westward and across North-western Davai. These migrants reached as far as what would become the Kamura Isles which are believed to have still been connected to Kisaga when the first groups arrived. Whereas on the mainland Yaemic settlers were assimilated overtime into Davaian ethno-cultural groups, with rising sea-levels the early Sriaav people were isolated on the shrunken islands of Kamura and due to the temperate climate and success at overwhelming the original natives were able to establish a culture unique to the region. Due to their geographical situation they have been able to preserve their language which is distantly related to other Yaemic languages albeit with some significant differences.

The Sriaav also look observably distinct from other peoples of West Davai, having paler skin, longer faces, slighter builds with green eyes being a fairly common occurrence. The later trait was used by Gothan anthropologists to confirm a possible link to the Loura and by extension other Yaemic peoples. Like other West Davaians, Sriaav mostly tend to have dark hair and epicanthic folds.

Ancient Era

Known as the Muurvan Era, this began with the dawn of recorded history on the Kamura Isles and is marked by the rise of a civilisation of the same name, the earliest of the Sriaav civilasations. The nature of Muurvan society is not fully understood despite their attempts to record their existance. It was understood to have risen as a complex agricultural society focused on the large core islands of Ichisa and Kamura proper and through the course of the era, exported it's culture and practices across the Sriaav inhabited world, including all of the Kamuran archipelogo. Beyond it's core though it is beleived that Muurvan was quite decentralised with tribal leaders on the peripheral islands effectively maintaining their soverignity. Despite this limitation, it is clear that during this era the practice of Kamuri veneration was becoming a centrepiece of Sriaav culture. The Kamuri was the first manisfestation of Divine Queenship, in the form of a young woman who was nominated as the chosen representative of the Mother Goddess. Though the core isles were consolidated under one Kamuri, the less intergated polities are known to have nominated their own Kamuri uring the later Muurvan Era. This situation however would not last and the rise of Muurvan's succesors would bring about a unifacation of all the Sriaav under one true Kamuri after whom the isles and the nation that lived upon them would come to be named.

Middle Era

This was the Hanayakav Era, an era marked by the rise of the Hanayaka dynasty, a thassolacratic house that established a dynasty of divine queens lasting centuries. With their wars of acension the Hanayaka reforged the office of Kamuri into a throne upon which true Empresses, referred as the Khatun, sat. No longer were these shy young girls used as mere figureheads but women who were trained in the use of power and influence to guide the hearts of her subjects with the backing of her house's monopoly on sea trade and the Kamuran fleet used to regulate the flow of trade between the islands and the outside world. When needed the Thassilocracy could choke rebels on outlying islands by cutting goods to their ports and denying them access to luxaries beyond their islands. The Hanayaka used their sea power to maintain a chokehold on access to their ports and managed to contain the naval ambitions of success mainlands empires based in Yan and Xiangren Country. At a time when land routes between Davai and Raia were difficult to traverse due to thicks jungles, rugged terrain and brigands, moving goods by sea was considered relatively safe. With this reality, favourable geography, trade monopolies and maritime expertise, Kamuran ships under the Hanayaka accounted for most ferried trade traffic between West Davai and Raia, connecting traders from as far afield as Ithrien to Yan and the varius South Shangti trade hubs.

The Hanayaka's maritime achievements also brought about a outward looking mindset that fostered an era of expolration that lead to the Kamuran expeditions to Altaia and the establishment of trade settlements on the Eastern Seaboard of the continent, facilitating a trade exchange with the Habinaski Civilisation and the Itzomal to the south. This brough new goods like tomatoes, chillies, chocolate and tobacco to Davaian markets. By the 7300's RH the Ithrieni Industrial Revolution was well underway and Kamura's access to a varied host of sought after goods from Davai and Altaia ensured that Kamuran merchants could successfully barter with the Ithrieni in exchange for new technologies and know-how.

Modern Era

The later Hanayaka Era was marked by a break in the fortunes of Kamura, with the rise of Anarian powers who began an encroachment on the Shangti Sea and Kamura trade routes. Though the Kamuran navy maintained a premium on naval access to West Davai due to it's proximity and geography, the alternative of Anarian clippers was made avaiable to Altaian and Raian ports, reinforced by the might of Anarian navies and breaking the Kamuran trade monoply. Along with this several of Kamura's trade partners were also able to commence production of many of the luxary goods that had become the staple of Kamuran sea trade following the eventual leaking of key trade secrets and increased smuggling and piracy. With increasing economic harship, the rise of print media and percieved social inequility at home, the cracks were starting to show in the regime. Various peripheral states and rebellious sections of society were start to challenge the Hanayaka's hold on power. Outer islands and overseas colonies that rose up in revolt could new bank on Anarian clandestine support to resupply them and privateers and corsairs were utilised by both sides to harass opposing fleets against of backdrop of incresing disorder in the Shangti Sea.

Following the loss of the colonies of the Altaian Reach, the game was up for the Hanayaka and a mix of social unrest and loss of confidence by the military and the keys to power led to an engineered coup, called the 'Kamuran Revolution' toppling the old dynasty and replacing it with an elected Khatunate the selected potential leaders from the matriarchal instituations that had buildt up tremendous influence and power in Kamuran society, the Deyan and Jiran. Under this model the tradition of Divine Queenship continues as Kamura progressively recovers from a period of instability to reassert it's power in the region and restore old glory.

A Flag for the Nation

[Image: cbTOMGz.png]

Magenta and Gold are the national colours of Kamura and the Pheasant is the signature animal of the Khatun.
12-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Nice to see some more development of this great proposal!

The narrative of decline which then led to the Kamuran revolution will be very interesting to expand on, as will modern Kamura's desire to reclaim its former glory and reassert its power in the wake of increasing Anarian pressure.

I also really like the new flag. Nice!

12-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I have got some more history written up surrounding the Revolution and how it came about but I have to tweak it to my liking. Should be up in a couple of days.

I've made the most of Kamura's geo-political positioning while shaping its history and interactions with the world. I think of Kamura as a being the original exploring nation similar to the Portuguese as it has similar advantages and due to Gotha's geography was in a great position to take advantage of a great exchange between Altaia and Davai/Raia. Then the Anarians turn up on the scene and undermined her elaborate trade system.

I like the flag too! The Magenta symbolises the fruits of the sea (including a rare sea slug that produces an expensive dye of the same colour) and Gold is of religious significance. More on that another time.