Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Project Activity Levels and Possible Future Recruitment
01-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Project Activity Levels and Possible Future Recruitment
Hi guys,

The general subject of this thread is to address a couple of issues regarding the World of Gotha project, namely how to remedy the loss of momentum since the surge of activity in the summer. First off I understand that most of us have got other life priorities and cannot dedicate a great deal of time to worldbuilding and I too have had to strike that balance. I'm also aware that players may be more active at certain times of the year when workloads are lighter. I've noticed admins in particular are sometimes not easy to reach for the the certain tasks they have to carry out.

My suggestion to these issues is simply to reach out online to recruit new players if we wish to continue. I know Brian and other long-term players will have their own views on what should become of Gotha. If you are still willing to develop the project into the future then more players could raise the activity levels and offset the high level of commitment required of players at this stage to keep things moving. I hope in the future the forum and wiki become more active places and we can enjoy greater discourse on various aspects of Gotha and that this will manifest in new creative concepts springing up across the map. I seen anticipation of future players on here mentioned quite a bit and thought that maybe we should have a shot at making it materialise.

Those players who are more active on here and can spare the time to commit to inducting new players could take up the responsibility. It would be nice to have a roadmap to work with including how to promote the project, how to approve concepts and the such. So who here is willing to adopt this as a belated new years resolution?
01-17-2018, 08:17 PM
RE: Project Activity Levels and Possible Future Recruitment
I think this is a great idea. I have been wanting something like this for a long time now.

As one of the few (very few, unfortunately) active players, it is sad, and at times frustrating, that the community is so dead. I am still very much committed to the Gotha project, and agree that new blood, as it were, would be a good way to re-energise the project - much like what happened when you and Merrix joined last year.

I also agree on the point about admins not being easy to reach at times. There are certain responsibilities and powers the admins have, and their being unavailable makes developing Gotha even more difficult. Their silence can, I think, stifle the drive to develop Gotha as it has proven laborious and frustrating to get a decision made in the past. I for one have had to abandon a number of ideas because of a total silence from the admins. Having said that, I obviously understand the pressures and priorities everyone has outside of the project.

As for inducting new players, I am all for it! I posted a little map on reddit last year and it seemed to have had the desired effect - e.g. get some interest in the project from outside. I think it would be an excellent idea for us, including the admins of course, to develop an official strategy for recruitment and set out our aims so we all understand what the rules are.

Thanks for posting!

01-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Another suggestion of mine is that you and Pepjin should be made admins (if you aren't already) since you're on here reliably enough and there is a good chance that players can get in touch with you at any given time. That kind of commitment should be rewarded.

So how should we promote the project to outsiders? Any ideas?

Also I'm open to discussing the concept approval mechanism that Jeff suggested some time since. We should get on with codifying that.
01-19-2018, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 08:08 PM by August Dux.)
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:So how should we promote the project to outsiders? Any ideas?

Well, posting related content on like-minded interest groups would be a potential way. Other worldbuilding communities, like the worldbuilding sub-reddit, as well as aiming at other interests including cartography and general fantasy/steampunk/alternative history.

I'm not sure how people would want to 'market' Gotha - whether we want to expressly invite new players or just increase traffic and interest in the project, which would then hopefully convert into new players?

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:Also I'm open to discussing the concept approval mechanism that Jeff suggested some time since. We should get on with codifying that.

I agree. Jeff's idea is also another potential way to actually encourage more development, and make the process more streamlined.

01-19-2018, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 10:54 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Have you got any works which are pending release? If so pop one on r/worldbuilding or r/imaginarymaps and give some context that will increase passive interest. I am aware that those subreddits can be a pain when it comes to rules against promotion though so we should find some forums and websites through which we can market Gotha without trouble. Where do conworlders gather for this kind of thing? Alternate history forums maybe? Art websites?

We should also call for (you lurkers if you are reading this, yes you!) to message an admin to pitch any proposals that could enrich the World of Gotha. Maybe see if we can get an admin on side who has time to spare for integrating newbies.

Edit: Just realised quite a few of the accounts on here are bots though. Mmm
01-20-2018, 02:38 PM
I would be interested to hear what the admins' thoughts are about all this.

About recruiting new players, if we can not streamline the whole introduction / proposal procedure with adequate admin backing, then adding new people will only result in frustration, I'm afraid.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
01-24-2018, 08:16 PM
It has been pointed out to me that this has become a bit of a chicken and egg thing. I can't speak for Alex, but I myself am willing to take up some admin duties, more as an enabler or facilitator than a decider. If people yell "we have to move forward" then it's time to move forward. Right?

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
01-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Pepijn Wrote:I can't speak for Alex, but I myself am willing to take up some admin duties, more as an enabler or facilitator than a decider. If people yell "we have to move forward" then it's time to move forward. Right?

Same here! Very happy to take some of those duties if it means Gotha will get moving again. It's been quiet for too long.

01-24-2018, 09:23 PM
If it was left any longer it would be curtains for the project sometime soon and that would be a shame. We have to move forward and there's no time like the present. I hope you both get some rights that allow you to approve new players following a set process. I'm still a newbie so I'm not sure I qualify Smile