Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Julian Event
02-02-2018, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2018 02:36 PM by Pepijn.)
The Julian Event
This one is way overdue.

During my postings around the Kakuri people, I implied that a catastrophic event took place in the Julian Sea about 400 years ago. Something like the Minoan eruption https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption or maybe a meteor impact causing a 150 metres / 400+ ft high tsunami in the entire region.

The assumption is that the Julian Sea at the time had a thriving, seafaring culture, maybe gathered in one empire or a hanseatic type of cooperation. Let's give it Tsuki as a placeholder name. Almost the entire culture was wiped out by the event (just like the Minoans) and the coasts became settled by Altaian inlanders and small groups that might have survived the onslaught.

As a result, when Anarian nations entered the region some decades later, it was ripe for colonization. Aspasia, Shiangtienrand and Bowersland were established in that timeframe, probably some more colonies as well. Islands in the area were probably uninhabited, or had some primitive cultures of people that had drifted there. This situation created a portal into the Shiangti for Anarian nations.

Now to the footnote of the event. The Kakuri people are in fact the only (known) remnant of this Tsuki culture. The origins of the Tsuki culture might have been elsewhere though. As an analogy, the US anglo-saxon, protestant mainstream originated on a different continent lltogether...

Thoughts? Reflections? Winning lottery numbers? All are appreciated!

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
02-02-2018, 10:21 PM
RE: The Julian Event
That's a nice idea, if you have some time this weekend I'd like to help you bang out a narrative for developing this area of Gotha. I have had several ideas in my private projects that have been inspired by the Minoan Eruption and a linguistic group emigrating from one island across a disparate area because of it.

Two Ideas I've got inspired by this. My computer has been crashing a bit lately so I have to keep it brief.

1) Your Tsuki Trade League is a fairly advanced civilisation active until 400 years ago when the Julian Event signals it's demise. It spoke a language related to Kakuri and the Austronesian Languages found in the region. If Kakuri is a Japonic mirror then it could conceivably be related to these if recent linguistic research OOG confirms Japanese and it's relatives are Austronesian. Classic Tsukan was the main language of the league before the fall but fell out of use afterwards and subsequent Oceanic Polynesian-like languages arose from it. Kakuri would be an archaic remnant of Classic Tsukan. 400 years might be too short a time-frame if you want the Kakuri to be truly isolated from their neighbours though, since linguistic shift wouldn't be rapid enough. The folk legend doesn't have to be that accurate does it?

2) If you accept a historical link between the Kamurans and Kakuri that I've suggested you could shift the event to Kamura and push it back to around 3000 years ago. The Tsuka (means knot or hilt) were the ancestors of the Kakuri and a previously dominant culture in Kamura. Tsuka and the name of Senoka, an island in Southern Kamura, could share an etymological root and that island could have been the scene of a major volcanic eruption in the past judging by a Caldera shown on the map. Senoka could be the 'Taiwan' in this scenario and be the nucleus of a migration away from Kamura and towards the Raian Archipelago and ultimately the Julian Sea Region. Austronesian speakers could be their descendants as in the other suggestion and Kakuri a relative pure language of that group (OOG this happened with the Polynesians who travelled the furthest changed the least, same thing here).

See what you make of these suggestions. If you want to keep the event local sure thing! I do think you've done well to place the Kakuri near Austronesian speakers and an expanded history in that region would be good to see since it's so strategic. On the other hand, the second narrative might help explain the shift to a Sriaav dominated culture in Kamura following the decline of the Tsuka.
02-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Like the ideas being cooked up so far! When we nail this down, it will be a really interesting and influential moment in Gothan history.

One thing I would point out, the Minoan analogy doesn't seem to fit perfectly. It seems to be that the Tsuki civilisation was spread out across the Julian Sea, and even beyond it. The Minoan eruption was so devastating because of the highly centralised nature of Aegean island society. As soon as you have a civilisation spread across multiple island chains and coastal areas of several landmasses, the scale of the disaster that would be needed to truly wipe them out (except the Kakuri, of course) would need to be multiplied several times.

I'm not a geographer, so am not an expert by any means, but if we do want this to wipe out a civilisation spread across the periphery of the Julian Sea, the disaster would need to be catastrophic, which would have a knock on effect on climate across Gotha. But, like I said, I'm no expert. Just an observation.

02-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

The Julian Event would only explain why the Kakuri are an isolated remnant in the region, and why the region could easily be colonized by the Anarians. It would not explain how the Tsuki got in the Julian in the first place. To me, that's a separate storyline I would be happy to develop with others.

One of the reasons why the Minoan event had such an impact on society, was the destruction of Thera (now Santorini) as a central trading hub. So if you would have an anologous event wiping out the most important cities of a trading nations, then the fact that more periferous settlement might have recouperated or not have been affected much doesn't really matter. If you take out the hub and destroy most of the spokes, then the remaining rim is pretty useless.

And yes, the event would have been catastrophic. If we're assuming that vulcanism happens on a similar scale on Gotha, then the Julian Event would categorize as one of the loudest bangs during recorded history, including effects on the climate. Like "the year without a summer", which might have sparked colonial aspirations from Anarian and Davaian nations.

02-03-2018, 09:11 PM
(02-03-2018 05:15 PM)Pepijn Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestions!

The Julian Event would only explain why the Kakuri are an isolated remnant in the region, and why the region could easily be colonized by the Anarians. It would not explain how the Tsuki got in the Julian in the first place. To me, that's a separate storyline I would be happy to develop with others.

That is all good. I suggest that you make a nation proposal of sorts for this past civilisation, showing the former geographic area it had before the event to give us a more vivid idea of how it looks.

I have some substantial knowledge of physical geography so can contribute a bit there. Maybe have the event occur to the south of the Julian Sea in the Shangti Archipelago. I say this merely because that is the nearest tectonic subduction zone to the sea if you're going with a volcanic eruption. That area could be the Tsuki heartlands from which it set up colonies, including on the lower Fisks.

Alternatively you can throw a meteorite into the Julian Sea and do it that way Smile
02-05-2018, 12:49 PM
One historical nation proposal coming up...

Instead of a subduction zone type of volcano, I was more aiming at a hotspot volcano on a continental shelf. These produce some nice stratovolcanoes as well, including the possibilities of coastal landslides, if they're costal. I found about a handful of nice examples in the RW that could be used here. It's a stretch, but it's not cheating, I guess.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right location. Given the direction of the plate movement (WNW) I found some potential candidates:
- One on the border of 6222 (Fisks' Gilles Asker) and 6195, which would put 6220 (Fisks Gilles Villes) on this hotspot as well (it is volcanic according to the wiki)
- 6220 itself (Gilles Villes) which would explain why it was uninhabited.
- 6214, part of Bowersland
- A volcano off the coast of 6250, but this one might be too far away to create immense waves at the north coast.

A landslide at the east coast of 6214 would be devastating for Fisks and Shangtienrand. A similar event at the west coast of 6195 would carry a wave across the entire bassin. A caldera collapse at 6222 would have the same effect. If we would be lazy and drop a meteorite smack in the middle we're talking about a 2 km3 boulder, roughly a 600 m big chunck in diameter. Would give a 4-5 km wide impact crater, that oughta do the job.

03-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Pep, have you had chance to develop this concept further yet?