Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chronology of Anarian Involvement in the Shangti and recent Kamuran History
02-07-2018, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 08:13 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Chronology of Anarian Involvement in the Shangti and recent Kamuran History
Firstly I give you a short rundown of the Kamuran Calendar for reference from a Kamuran perspective.

Kamuran Calendar

The Kamuran Calendar measures the passage of time in Gothan years from the establishment of the Imperial Khatunate that consolidated the Sriaav nation under one entity at the end of the Muurvan Era. The current year is 914 SK or 7580 RH which means 0 SK was equivalent to the year 6666 RH. The label SK stands for Sene Khatunaavan, which translates as 'Imperial Year' though the more common colloquial label is simply Sene, literally just 'Year'.

[i]Now on to the chronology of events affecting recent Kamuran history. This should give an idea of how the Anarian presence in the Shangti interacts with Kamuran history. Some of the content is based on the wiki and the rest is my proposed events.

Important Dates (Proposed Events)

7355 RH / 689 SK – The Kamuran-Auresian War ends with the defeat of the Empire of Kamura. This signals the beginning of a large Anarian presence in the Shangti Region. Auresia, though it's CHAIM, seized Westhold and Andrew's Archipelago.

7398 RH / 732 SK – The Auresio-Anisoran War ends with an Auresian defeat and Andrew's Archipelago being ceded to Anisora, which established the Andrea Islands as an overseas dependency. The Anisorans may have received assistance in the war from Kamura.

7508 RH / 842 SK – The Secession of the Altaian Reach from the Kamuran Empire.

7520 RH / 854 SK – The Kamuran Revolution. The Hanayaka Dynasty is ousted from power by an engineered coup that replaced it with an elective Khatunate and the consultative councils of the Deyanrengi and Sirketan.

7531-36 / 865-70 SK - The Vittish Magnate Arild Fisk acquires three islands off the East Coast of Altaia near Xholate. These will become the Northern Fisks.

7555 RH / 889 SK - Large numbers of Wolgos refugees from Anaria arrive on the Prosperity Coast in Altaia, transported there by Fisk ships.

7571 RH / 905 SK – Kamura achieves a crushing victory against (Insert Anarian Power) that signals the start of a possible resurgence of her geopolitical fortunes. One consequence of this victory is the repatriation of the Altaian Reach back into the Empire with autonomy (a future proposal for Sriaav settled regions of Altaia is planned).

Suggestion

I do wonder if it's possible to shift the events Auresian and Anisora acquisitions in the region forward 100 years to offer a more fast paced timeline which in my opinion would meld better with the later events. My suggestion is that we make Anarian interference in the Shangti a relatively recent phenomenon to which Kamura has felt compelled to confront with rapid industrial development.

If that's not possible it's no biggie, just have to fill an extra century.

This discussion should be of particular interest to Alex (Anisora) and Tom (Auresia).
02-08-2018, 09:00 AM
RE: Chronology of Anarian Involvement in the Shangti and recent Kamuran History
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:The Auresio-Anisoran War ends with an Auresian defeat and Andrew's Archipelago being ceded to Anisora, which established the Andrea Islands as an overseas dependency. The Anisorans may have received assistance in the war from Kamura.

I am more than happy to integrate Kamura into the Auresio-Anisoran War, if Tom is also happy. Anisora certainly wouldn't have said no to Kamuran assistance, although we'd have to work out why they assisted the Anisorans and helped them establish a presence in the Shangti. If the Andrew's Archipelago had been a Kamuran possession, there might be general anxiety to involve the Kamurans too directly. Not sure.

Prior to Anarian involvement in the Shangti, do you envisage Kamura having a large colonial empire? If that is the case, was the acquisition of those Shangti colonies by the Anarians outright conquest, or more of a sphere of influence affair? Or, more likely, a mixture of both?

02-08-2018, 02:46 PM
In the 7530s, Fisks established holdings on the northern islands of Henkesö (7531), Karolinasö (7534) and Valtersö (7536). In 7555 Fisks estblished an agreement with The Bind, providing company rule over the islands in return for help with the Dhonowlgos evacuation. That's what's in the wiki.

Having lost their home ground in a footnote event of the Pan Anarian War in 7523, the large, modern vessels of the Fisks fleet provide services to anyone who is willing to pay. They're opportunists though, they won't deceive you but they have their own agenda as well.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
02-08-2018, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 06:11 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(02-08-2018 09:00 AM)August Dux Wrote:  Prior to Anarian involvement in the Shangti, do you envisage Kamura having a large colonial empire? If that is the case, was the acquisition of those Shangti colonies by the Anarians outright conquest, or more of a sphere of influence affair? Or, more likely, a mixture of both?

I'd be inclined to say they were a mixture of both. Specifically, the Andrea Islands prior to Anarian contact would have been regarded as strategically important to Kamura considering their location near the Equatorial Current. Sriaav sailors would have used the harbours on these islands as way-stations for centuries and would possibly have settled them. It seems natural to me that the Kamuran Empire would regard the islands as tributary states with economic life and trade dominated by the Empire. It is this the Anarians threaten, a circular trade hegemony in the Shangti that forms the nexus of Kamuran economic power.

I'll do a map soon that shows you what I mean Smile
02-08-2018, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 07:32 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(02-08-2018 02:46 PM)Pepijn Wrote:  In 7555 Fisks estblished an agreement with The Bind, providing company rule over the islands in return for help with the Dhonowlgos evacuation. That's what's in the wiki.

Cheers Pep! I'll add those dates to the chronology. Question, are The Bind still active in game? It was going to be replaced or removed from what I can recall.

I have been thinking that Vittmark could have some kind of trade privilege based on Kamura having more trust in them and this is why the North Fisks were allowed. You could still use the evacuation to facilitate the Vittish presence in the region with the Wolgos stumping up the cost for Arild Fisk's venture east but all he wants out of it are those sweet Davaian luxuries.
Here you go folks, a rough map of the Kamuran Empire at her apogee before the Anarians came along and shook things up.

[Image: 36lGkWT.png?1]

Key:

Dark Red - Integral Kamuran territory

Lighter Red - Kamuran Colonisation programs

Brown - Altaian Hegemony

Orange - Davaian Hegemony

Pink - Raian Hegemony

The 'Hegemonies' were regions of their respective continents where Kamura wielded a great deal of influence in trade and often maintained a military presence. She would get involved in local wars in these areas and side with those factions who would best benefit her interests. The plight of rulers in many of these polities was largely determined by their usefulness to the Kamurans though Imperial policies would vary and would typically be more heavy-handed in Davai and Raia and more cordial in Altaia. Nonetheless what united these regions was their economic reliance on the Kamuran trade web. They were in effect tributaries and client states in most cases.
02-09-2018, 06:07 PM
I think that this proposal could work. It is certainly an extensive sphere of influence, but would provide an interesting moment in Gothan history. It would lend itself to the general narratives of the rise and fall of empires (and, in the case of Kamura, the potential rise again in the near future!).

It would play nicely into the narrative of Anarian predominance during this period and further the general colonial themes Gotha encapsulates.

I'm also happy that Anisora might play a role in this, right at the centre with the Andrea Islands. Looking forward to developing some interesting wars/tensions/alliances!

02-09-2018, 08:42 PM
(02-09-2018 06:07 PM)August Dux Wrote:  I think that this proposal could work. It is certainly an extensive sphere of influence, but would provide an interesting moment in Gothan history. It would lend itself to the general narratives of the rise and fall of empires (and, in the case of Kamura, the potential rise again in the near future!).

I like myself some grand histories! Kamura had to be a great empire factoring it's geography, location and stats. I also think a proposal that interacts with a wide area, especially a region that has been neglected up till now, would be a good development in the project and will make Gotha appeal more to new players. I'm trying to do what it says on the tin and be diligent about it, making Gotha look 'lived in'. It the best me, you and active players can do to keep things going right now.

Quote:It would play nicely into the narrative of Anarian predominance during this period and further the general colonial themes Gotha encapsulates.

I tried to make sure that despite her illustrious history, Kamura did not become a Mary-sue that didn't have instability and set backs from time to time. I do, however, want a concept that is on an upward trajectory so I didn't want to be a 'sick man' nation but one that can fight back and be a match for Anaria. I like the dynamic that Kamura and Ithrien constitute alternate centres of power to Anaria, it makes things interesting.

Quote:I'm also happy that Anisora might play a role in this, right at the centre with the Andrea Islands. Looking forward to developing some interesting wars/tensions/alliances!

Well let me know you have any free time to spare coming up so we can start working at a quicker pace and bang something out soon (How do you usually do the collaboration bit? Facebook? Discord?). Also I know Tom of Auresia is fairly active and has a presence in the Shangti so perhaps he would like to contribute to putting a narrative together for first contact. I seems Auresia were the first Anarian actor to really push into Kamura's sphere of influence.
02-09-2018, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 10:14 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
I've produced a rough guide to how the Raian Archipelago might look. I think this would be a good centre of Anarian operations in the region much like South-East Asia was OOG. I know some players have an issue with preemptive proposals like this but unlike the West Davai map I did a while back this includes potential played nations mostly.

[Image: EkGNUAt.png?1]

Key:

Kamura

Dark Red: Kamuran Colonies - These are incorporated into the Empire.

Red: Kamuran Possessions - These are leased to the Empire by local Raian rulers in exchange for favours.

Anarian Powers

Burgundy: Auresia - Western Holdings with a suggested expansion.

Cyan: Anisora - The Andrea Islands.

Placeholder/Flavour Nations

Pale Blue: League of Nguhin - A placeholder trade league type entity that is in Kamura's sphere of influence still but potentially wavering in her loyalties.

Orange: Nanfan Empire - An terrestrial empire ruled by an affluent monarch, similar in flavour to Siam and prone to bouts of hostility towards Kamura.

Dark Grey Areas

These are places that could do with some vague development just to give an idea of what these places might be like and act as buffer and filler regions or potential future placeholders and expanded colonies.
02-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Fisks northern island end up in the border zone between "colonization efforts" and "hegemony".

I'm not sure if there is a Bind-like structure remaining on the Altaian mainland, or that everything ends up in the sphere of a new nation replacing it. Limbo...

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
02-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Like I said that map is before Anarians started interfering c. 7300 RH, which is quite sometime before Fisks was established. By then the Kamuran Empire had contracted in Altaia and Raia and is only recently reasserting itself.

Quote:I'm not sure if there is a Bind-like structure remaining on the Altaian mainland, or that everything ends up in the sphere of a new nation replacing it. Limbo...

You could say we're in a bit of a Bind lol

Let's ask on facebook if we should assume it's still there.