Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Something needs to change...
02-23-2018, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 02:06 PM by August Dux.)
Exclamation Something needs to change...
Hi everyone,

Firstly, this post is on behalf of not just myself, but Pep (Pepijn), Tom (Morbius), and James (TeamBattleaxe). We are all in agreement that something needs to change, and the below suggestions are agreed by all of us.

Gotha has been struggling the last few years due to a mixture of inactivity, lack of admin input and vagueness surrounding how proposals are approved. But things have reached a point where the few active players left (all four of us, in fact) have decided that something must be done to stop Gotha’s slow-motion death. We are all of us still committed to Gotha and still have energy and inspiration to continue developing the world – and we don’t want Gotha’s current problems getting in the way of that anymore; because they have consistently stifled creativity and development for the last year at least.

I just want to be clear that we are not pointing fingers or blaming anyone specifically. We know people have other projects, priorities and general life that gets in the way. That’s obviously not a problem. However, if we want to avoid Gotha dying a death due to chronic inactivity and absenteeism, something needs to change.

We therefore want to see the following changes in how Gotha is run:

1) Uploading all base materials and templates to the box, so all players can access the information necessary to develop their nation in the detail they wish.

2) Granting admin powers to active players. The current set up cannot continue if the only people with power to further the project are not active.

3) An established timeline of events going back to 7567 with a possible leap backwards to this date.

4) Establishing a method of approving proposals that is more streamlined. There has been discussion of this before, but a decision needs to be made.

5) Setting up some placeholder and flavour nations to bring more of the map to life and encourage more development of otherwise quiet corners of the world.

6) Seeking out new players – one of the ways, we believe, which will breathe new life into Gotha.

These changes, particularly the first two, are necessary if we want Gotha to continue attracting new players, and most importantly, stop veteran players leaving the project out of frustration and lack of development.

Thanks,

Alex, Pep, Tom and James
02-24-2018, 08:53 PM
RE: Something needs to change...
I thought it prudent to articulate the first two requests as these are of the highest priority right now.

Quote:1) Uploading all base materials and templates to the box, so all players can access the information necessary to develop their nation in the detail they wish.

We think this would be a good idea because then if there is anything any of us could use in our work, it will be somewhere on the box and we won't have to pester anyone else to get it. To aid the searching process if the amount of material is substantial then maybe having it organised so it's easy to whittle down the search to specific items would be good. Hopefully you already do so.

Maybe throwing in some tutorials on how to use the materials would be a good idea too but it depends on how much time you have to commit. When we request all materials to be placed on the box, I suppose we really mean the ones that are ready to be worked. An example would be map templates used for the thematic maps if they are still available.

Quote:2) Granting admin powers to active players. The current set up cannot continue if the only people with power to further the project are not active.

I'm glad the we all agree that there needs to be some extension of admin powers to active players. I would have thought Pep and Alex would be front-runners here and I stand by my earlier endorsement of them. I and Tom would be willing to accept powers it they are offered to us.

If there are more admins then that should make burdens easier to share and if enough admins are active we can set up more structured mechanisms for decision making. This would then allow us to follow though on the subsequent requests with greater efficiency and prepare us to accept new players!

I hope we see these two changes be made as soon as possible.
02-25-2018, 03:40 PM
OK let's get practical...

New player registers
We should make clear to any new player registering to also enter the FB group. Then an admin knows it's not of those one zillion bots. It would be nice if some more players could take care of this, so we can respond more quickly.

New player intro
Let's face it, it's difficult to get a hang of the situation. Let's take time to establish a timeline of events 7567-7579, as well as a short intro for each approved nation. Make the place inviting instead of confusing. Update a couple of those introduction pages.

New nation, idea to IG
Just a matter of more people handling the current routine. Let's elaborate on Jeff's proposal on how to approve nations for wiki development and IG readiness. Which requires a couple more people with wiki skills and rights.
Also, we need more people being able to deliver base maps. Any Fractal Terrains users around? And I agree with Brian's remark on FB that uploading all 200 GB won't make things easier, we need to establish what we need to have access to instead of having to find our own way in all those folders and subfolders.
I'm curious about the ledger though, I think we have a 7570 version (haven't checked) but how do we keep this accurate? No need to update every IG year (6 RW months...) but I'm certain something has happened between 7570 and 7580... I have no clear suggestion here.

Let's stop the clock
If even an admin admits he feels that the tempo of the game is a problem for regaining activity, then we need to address the issue. Let's take the time to develop our nations, the relations and current events, thicken the plot, strengthen the fabric. This also gives nations like Kamura an opportunity to fill in that last decade and having others respond to that. Or nations like Penryn and Anat Tahan a reason to regain activity, even if it's only for a quick update. Or players like Cody and Michael an option to develop a nation without time running away from them. We don't need new current events every day to develop further, we need a time out to develop further, in my opinion. It will give us time to develop and execute some new protocols and routines without an entire IG year slipping away.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
02-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Sorry for the delay!

Quote:New player registers
We should make clear to any new player registering to also enter the FB group. Then an admin knows it's not of those one zillion bots. It would be nice if some more players could take care of this, so we can respond more quickly.

This seems very wise. Let them join on Facebook first then they can have the forum unlocked. I think we need a way through which potential players can get a message through to all admins in order to announce their presence.

Quote:New player intro
Let's face it, it's difficult to get a hang of the situation. Let's take time to establish a timeline of events 7567-7579, as well as a short intro for each approved nation. Make the place inviting instead of confusing. Update a couple of those introduction pages.

We'll have to set up a thread for that and will want all players with prominent nations to participate. To players that have been less active of late, please try to make a bit of time for this particular task at least. We need to know what is being kept and discarded especially if you are to reduce the size of your nations or abolish them.

Quote:New nation, idea to IG
Just a matter of more people handling the current routine. Let's elaborate on Jeff's proposal on how to approve nations for wiki development and IG readiness. Which requires a couple more people with wiki skills and rights.

Let take Jeff's idea and chuck in a 5-day rule (or some other time-frame if we wish). What this means is that admins have five days to veto or counter a proposal they disapprove of. When the 5 days is up the player only needs an 'OK' from one admin. Admins can subsequently propose tweaks to a concept though they can no longer reject the whole concept.

We could create a new thread to compliment the National Proposal Thread which is used for polls on new proposals. There admins can vote, explain their choice and deliberate. Let's call it the Proposal Deliberation Thread.

Quote:Also, we need more people being able to deliver base maps. Any Fractal Terrains users around? And I agree with Brian's remark on FB that uploading all 200 GB won't make things easier, we need to establish what we need to have access to instead of having to find our own way in all those folders and subfolders.

I've got FT3 though I've still a lot to learn. I'd like to see useful materials uploaded to the box soon so we can see what we're working with. A FT3 map file that matches Jeff's thematic maps would be an early goal of mine.

Quote:I'm curious about the ledger though, I think we have a 7570 version (haven't checked) but how do we keep this accurate? No need to update every IG year (6 RW months...) but I'm certain something has happened between 7570 and 7580... I have no clear suggestion here.

If anyone is willing to calculate the rate of growth of each territory over 10 years we could bang out a ledger for 7580.

Quote:Let's stop the clock

Yeah lets do that ASAP and lets promote some new admins too. If all four of us are appointed admins then we've got 7 admins which should be enough to tie us over in the near future.
03-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Pepijn Wrote:New player registers

I agree.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:
Pepijn Wrote:New player intro

We'll have to set up a thread for that and will want all players with prominent nations to participate. To players that have been less active of late, please try to make a bit of time for this particular task at least. We need to know what is being kept and discarded especially if you are to reduce the size of your nations or abolish them.

What James said. It is very important to get inactive players to contribute at least this overview to help new players.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:Let take Jeff's idea and chuck in a 5-day rule (or some other time-frame if we wish). What this means is that admins have five days to veto or counter a proposal they disapprove of. When the 5 days is up the player only needs an 'OK' from one admin. Admins can subsequently propose tweaks to a concept though they can no longer reject the whole concept.

I think this is practical. The five-day rule could act as a fail-safe to avoid any lengthy delays or roadblocks to further development and eventual approval in some form. The rules suggested by Jeff and the 5-day rule should be a framework, a guideline, to stop the sort of problems we are currently facing. It shouldn't be seen as a hard and fast rule that must be followed to the letter. If we have active admins, this should only be needed in a small number of cases - otherwise the discussion and approval process should be allowed to develop organically, if necessary.

Pepijn Wrote:Also, we need more people being able to deliver base maps. Any Fractal Terrains users around? And I agree with Brian's remark on FB that uploading all 200 GB won't make things easier, we need to establish what we need to have access to instead of having to find our own way in all those folders and subfolders.

I agree. I know Mike (Rarkk) has expressed an interest in map making as his primary role, rather than as an all round nation builder. Perhaps he would be interested in taking on a dedicated map role?

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:Yeah lets [stop the clock] ASAP and lets promote some new admins too. If all four of us are appointed admins then we've got 7 admins which should be enough to tie us over in the near future.

Yes. Stopping the clock will help us catch our breath and sort out the last 13 years of Gothan history.

As for admins, it appears four of us are willing to put ourselves forward for admin duties:
James (TeamBattleaxe)
Pep (Pepijn)
Tom (Morbius)
And myself.