Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[New proposal] Snøland
04-05-2018, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2018 06:18 PM by MajorTom.)
[New proposal] Snøland
I've yet to name many places and even the name of the country is a placeholder until I can establish what the real-world base for my country's language would be. Ideally, the owner of Aedeland could help me with this.

As for territories, I'd like to use 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

[Image: DdfOWfb.jpg]

Ladies and gentleman, I hereby would like to present you Snøland.

The Republic of Snøland is a largely nomadic nation of unified tribes stretching from the south-western coast of Jørveh all the way to the northern mountains. The nation has only formally become one to serve the interests of the tribes towards trade, creating a collective bargaining power and a welfare state to serve its citizens.

The Snølandic people are mostly native Aldsay with an almost negligible mix of Emther in the south as the results of early settlers. Nomadic and self-sufficient, they are still close to their roots as fishermen and reindeer herders, though an increasing number of tribes are giving up this traditional lifestyle for mining in the two ore-rich regions, in search for wealth or simply as a means to provide.

The fact that tradition is important is also apparent from the way they dress and perceive music. Dress is practical and functional. Hides and furs are still preferred by the rural and nomadic parts of society. In cities and larger towns, people resort to simple and cheap uniforms as they have less access to quality skins. Wearing valuable furs is still the standard for formal occasions and traditionally each tribe has its own intricate and colorful design when it comes to headwear. Musically, they consider the voice to be the most beautiful instrument, only to be backed up by basic skin drums and simple string instruments. Both song and dance often refer to major natural events.

Religion is not something the average Snølandic person cares about and monotheistic religions in particular are something one practices in private. That’s not to say they don’t exist, as both Snølandic Orkanan and True Faith have a small following. A form of paganism, however, is practiced openly especially in times of hardship. Blessings are asked of animals, plants and anything else nature provides, but the people don’t consider this to be a real religion. Dedicating yourself to hard work and providing for your nearest and dearest is seen as a far more valuable spending of time.

It is forbidden to teach religion at school unless it is part of history classes. Speaking of schools, education is free for Snøland nationals, although education is not mandatory and quite simply impractical with the many tribes that rely on all the hands they can get when moving around.

On a side-note to history and culture, there’s an annual tribe fair that takes place as a way to trade, exchange the latest news and potentially meet a new partner. During these few weeks, the biggest non-permanent city forms at the mouth of the big river, something that’s increasingly popular with foreigners as well.

On a side-side-note, the figure 150 is important, as it resembles ideal tribe size.

Self-sustainability is a big part of the country and economy-wise this is no different. Industrialization has yet to really take a hold of the country. Snøland’s only true city also doubles as its main import/export hub and is connected to the mines by river. There’s no railroad or even a real cross-country road to speak of.

All profits from state-run companies and exports are divided among the country’s citizens. It is then the citizens’ responsibility to spend it wisely (The so-called Act of Responsibility). Due to the geography of the country, this distribution is still tricky and the country is looking to invest in some airships as a result.

While many of the biggest companies are operated on a state-level, the country does have a few notable and sizeable companies, among them a handful of fur trading companies, the (to be named) Rifling Corporation, and (to be named) Ironworks.

With a total area of over 1,7 km2, Snøland is vast but mostly unpopulated. During the summer months, reindeer herders trek through the great plains/valley, following their herd to greener pastures while fishermen take to sea. As winter hits whole tribes migrate to the south coast and the country is covered under a thick blanket of snow. Notable exceptions to the migrating tribes are the Southern tip of the country, and the tip closest to Åland. Communities here use fishing, mining, and trading as a way to get by. After particular short summers, it’s not uncommon to see populations greatly grow near the two cities as deprived wanderers resort to working in the mines.

Then it’s time to talk politics. Snøland is a unitary parliamentary republic with a unicameral parliament. The Prime Minister is the most powerful person where the President can mostly be seen as a ceremonial super-ambassador responsible for foreign trade and relations.

Voting is done according to an electoral district proportionate representation voting system where the country is divided into districts and each district is assigned a seat according to the “150 rule”, where 150 civilians stand for 0,1% of a seat. Minimum seats for a region is always 1. Both men and women above the age of 16 can vote.

As mentioned previously, Snøland is very young as an organized country and was created mostly to provide a unified front and central point of contact towards the outside world. It can be considered a welfare state where the two most known policies are Every Man’s Right, the right to fish, pluck berries, mushrooms etc. from the land, and the Act of Responsibility, where each citizen gets a “living allowance” from the government.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-05-2018, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2018 06:18 PM by August Dux.)
RE: [New proposal] Snøland
Hi Tom - welcome to Gotha!

Snøland sounds like an interesting place and would be very different to anything on Gotha at present.

Politically it is very different to most other Anarian nations, which makes it a very interesting proposal. Social welfare on that scale, as well as universal proportional representative voting for all above 16, for example, are particularly interesting concepts and would undoubtedly give some Anarian scholars and political commentators pause for thought.

I also really like the idea of the annual tribe fair at the mouth of the main river - I think that will be a fascinating instance of Snølandic culture on display - and I dare say a very unique event.

I think Jeff could provide some interesting insights into the region, and potentially cook up some Aedelish influence/inter-linked history with you. It makes sense that Aedeland be the Anarian power most involved with Snøland.

Nice proposal, and welcome to Gotha!

And here's a map for you:

[Image: 25z5z6r.jpg]

04-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Glad to have you aboard Tom! Snøland looks great so far, I'd like to know what your inspirations for this concept are?

It's a modest sized country which I expect will be easily approved and has a lot of potential in it's region. You could later expand West into Northeast Davai when you've developed it some more. From what I've seen of the language maps I'd say that Icelandic or Faroese would be the best candidates for use though due to similarities with Finnish and Sami cultures you could employ a Uralic language...

As well as the Aldsay and Emther you're country would have interacted with the Loura people to the West who based on prior lore are said to be hostile to outsiders. Aedeland to the east clearly would be the most influential foreign power since it has expansionist tendencies and would regard access to those waters a priority. The Snølandic cultural area may extend beyond her borders either due to migrations across the North or Aedelish annexations of territory in Jorveh.

Your country should have an interesting relationship with the Aedelanders, maybe some tensions over land disputes and your nations sovereignty. Geo-political rivals of Aedeland would be tempted to approach you for co-operation if this is the case.

I look forward in particular to seeing your religion develop and how your economic model can be applied in this setting, in a small nation with a harsh climate and a culture of reciprocity it should be viable.
04-05-2018, 07:38 PM
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:From what I've seen of the language maps I'd say that Icelandic or Faroese would be the best candidates for use though due to similarities with Finnish and Sami cultures you could employ a Uralic language...

Just a quick note, it can't be Icelandic - that language is used in West Thultannia. The language could always be Aedelish? With regional dialects/isolates amongst the nomadic peoples?

04-05-2018, 08:02 PM
(04-05-2018 07:38 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Just a quick note, it can't be Icelandic - that language is used in West Thultannia. The language could always be Aedelish? With regional dialects/isolates amongst the nomadic peoples?

Is Icelandic officially used there by an active player? If not then surely we can be lenient if he wants to use Icelandic since it wouldn't really be out of place on Jorveh and being a maritime culture, the Icelandic speakers in Thultannia could have simply sailed over from there. I know how controversial a language rearrangement might be but this suggestion doesn't seem too radical.
04-05-2018, 08:18 PM
(04-05-2018 07:22 PM)TeamBattleaxe Wrote:  Glad to have you aboard Tom! Snøland looks great so far, I'd like to know what your inspirations for this concept are?

The concept started based on a proposal in Finland to give every citizen €900 a month and then they decide whether they spend it on alcohol or medical bills, but then medical care is no longer free. I wondered what kind of society would have a strong enough community to take this even further and figured it'd have to be a community forced to collaborate to survive and everything else became an extension of that idea.

From then on it became a mix of Sami, Mongolian, Icelandic, and Greenlandic (?) to fill in the blanks.

(04-05-2018 07:38 PM)August Dux Wrote:  
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:From what I've seen of the language maps I'd say that Icelandic or Faroese would be the best candidates for use though due to similarities with Finnish and Sami cultures you could employ a Uralic language...

Just a quick note, it can't be Icelandic - that language is used in West Thultannia. The language could always be Aedelish? With regional dialects/isolates amongst the nomadic peoples?

I was also thinking about Finnish, Sami, or Icelandic. If possible, I'd like to use Finnish (perhaps with a mix of Sami) because it would tie into the independent and largely isolated backstory better. Also, my Finnish is decent enough to turn it into something believable.

I did notice, however, that the language was reserved for an unclaimed part of the map.

If the above is possible, then Aedelish would be a great second language in the south or one that gets taught in school.
04-05-2018, 08:50 PM
I was going to bring up Finnish more but waited for you to propose it. I personally like the idea of the Finno-Ugric languages being positioned up there. I know we don't have to follow earth analogues super closely but I would struggle to see Finnish as the best fit for a group of subtropical islands. Much of the Finnish lexicon is probably influenced by the environment in which it has developed and so a more northerly range for these languages would fit best in my view.

We can propose something else for the Nestor Isles, maybe Portuguese? Etruscan? or just leave it open for a conlang....
04-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Welcome Tom. My name is Jeff and I play Aedeland. I am also the inheritor of Cykeria.

I have not developed Cykeria much beyond what its creator left behind. If you study the maps available on the wiki, you will notice that most of Cykeria lies within the less accessible and less developed half of Jørveh. I see this as fitting for something of a vast wasteland akin to Siberia with very little to offer culturally or politically. Its importance to Aedeland is primarily strategic control of the straits and the western Dlreukv Sea.

Gotha's canon has the people of Jørveh speaking Norwegian and a proto-Indoeuropean. I have Aedeland speaking a made up nordic language that borrows from Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Old Norse, and Old English. The further west and north (to include "civilized" Cykeria) you go the closer you get to Old Norse and/or Icelandic.

I have done nothing to elaborate on the proto-Indoeuropean analog, called Xholdhem in Gotha Canon, that is spoken in the Jørvic hinterland. You are welcome to that if you desire.

I may be mistaken but I think your nation will be Gotha's first welfare state. How do you make the jump from tribalism to the welfare state? What is the philosophical background that produced that? Perhaps if a tribal people somehow industrialized while remaining tribal they would believe "it takes a village". It will be interesting to see how that works in a society where the wealth of a small industrialized population is redistributed to a smaller nomadic population. Particularly in such a resource-poor nation. Arctic fishing, even whaling, is tough work with a relatively low pay off compared to something like oil. What keeps the 'productive' population from demanding that the 'unproductive' settle down and get to work? Perhaps there is a social motive that justifies and gives value to the nomadic way of life. Something like how the ultra-Orthodox are subsidized in Israel for religious reasons.

04-05-2018, 10:29 PM
(04-05-2018 07:38 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Just a quick note, it can't be Icelandic - that language is used in West Thultannia. The language could always be Aedelish? With regional dialects/isolates amongst the nomadic peoples?

How does that make sense?

04-06-2018, 06:27 AM
(04-05-2018 10:24 PM)El Jeffe Wrote:  I may be mistaken but I think your nation will be Gotha's first welfare state. How do you make the jump from tribalism to the welfare state? What is the philosophical background that produced that? Perhaps if a tribal people somehow industrialized while remaining tribal they would believe "it takes a village". It will be interesting to see how that works in a society where the wealth of a small industrialized population is redistributed to a smaller nomadic population. Particularly in such a resource-poor nation. Arctic fishing, even whaling, is tough work with a relatively low pay off compared to something like oil. What keeps the 'productive' population from demanding that the 'unproductive' settle down and get to work? Perhaps there is a social motive that justifies and gives value to the nomadic way of life. Something like how the ultra-Orthodox are subsidized in Israel for religious reasons.

There are a couple of factors that would contribute to this jump I'd say. First off, charity has always come from the community since there's no major religion who's organized this in the past. Then there's the idea that "everything belongs to the land" so when large-scale mining and fishing took off for the express purpose of export it only seemed fair that everyone benefits. It's also important to keep in mind that the tribes unified into a nation simply to have a stronger position when negotiating big deals so, in essence, the country is one large tribe.

Snølandic people wouldn't consider their nomadic part to be unproductive as they still provide hides, reindeer products and, within their locale, whatever meal nature has to offer. Self-sufficiency and freedom are valued exceptionally high. Even those who work in mines wouldn't want to fully rely on imported goods. If anything, the sentiment would probably be the other way around as you can't eat money. The "productive" part of society does get paid a working wage, so they benefit from their work twice, but then they do have more bills to pay.