Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Grand Alliance
04-18-2018, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 08:02 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
The Grand Alliance
The Grand Alliance is my initial name for a diplomatic concept that I want to share with you guys concerning the Shangti Region. It is meant as an IG analogue to the Eight Nations Alliance which formed in East Asia during the late 19th century to co-operate on opening up the markets of China. In 1900 they mobilised their forces to crush the Boxer Rebellion which opposed foreign interference in Chinese affairs and threatened the safety of foreign personnel with China.

The advantages of this kind of proposal allow for Kamura to have an enemy entity to interact with during the 7400's and facilitate the events of her recent history in a relatively safe manner and allowing Anarian players who have less time to spend on the region a means of being involved. At the moment Auresia and Anisora are involved in the region but I would have thought that Amberia and Aedeland would be getting involved as well and maybe some others.

With the outbreak of the Pan-Anarian War in 7498 the alliance would be greatly weakened in the Shangti by the size of it's other commitments allowing Kamura breathing space to reverse her decline. After the war the Alliance may continue in a reduced form but would be threatened by a rapidly modernising Kamura wishing to reassert herself in the region and reestablish her dominance.

Proposed Core Members: Auresia, Anisora, Amberia, Aedeland (Effectively making this alliance a precursor to Aschgaet though with a limited scope)

Potential Members: Halland, Penryn, United Royal Provinces

Unlikely Members: Helreich (antagonistic to member nations)

Rivals: Kamura

Local Allies: Xian, Raian Princely States

Objectives: To break the Kamuran Monopoly on West Davaian trade and open up the regions markets to Anarian competition. Secondly, to establish colonies and forward bases in the Shangti.

What do you guys think of collaborating on a proposal like this?
04-19-2018, 01:39 PM
RE: The Grand Alliance
This is a nice idea, and a great way to connect the timelines of Anaria with the Shiangti region.

Regarding Halland's potential inclusion, I am not going to argue pro or contra, if it seems obvious that it should be present I will be happy to add it to its history. It seems feasible given the fact that they have Bowersland in southern Altaia, could be a stepping stone.

Since Vittmark didn't exist then, my contribution would be limited. There are however three predecessor states and two city states that could be in on it (maybe a bit like the Belgians...). The most obvious choice would be Talpå, which plays a role as trade city for Ådalen and Hagen. Remember that Fisks originates from Talpå, so the presence of Stoldavian trading posts in what today is Fisks, north and south, would get better anchored in history.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
04-19-2018, 02:10 PM
I like this idea very much.

Anisora would certainly be interested in being a part of such an 'alliance'. She already has a presence in the region, and it might explain how and when she acquired various territories, including the Andrea Islands. Also Zitgau and her port on the Yan coast will naturally prove to have been acquired as a result of the activity of this alliance (if we can wrap that scenario up).

Depending on when the 'alliance' was formed, Anisora might not have been on too friendly terms with Amberia and Auresia. If it is early 75th century, Anisora has just fought a war with Auresia and in the 7420s fights a major war against Amberia. Although it isn't confirmed (mostly due to Collin not being readily available) Anisora was probably on good terms with Helland before 7472 (the Haverist Revolution). It is therefore not unfeasible that the Empire of Helland was also a member of the alliance, otherwise Anisora's inclusion (at least in the early 7400s) might also need to be questioned.

However, this 'alliance' could have sped up the cooperation between Anisora and Auresia (and Amberia and other Aschgæt powers) and contribute towards explaining the shift in relations, as by the 7490s Anisora and Auresia were military allies. This would work nicely.

04-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Is this a one time alliance to put down a rebellion or a long-term trading alliance?

04-23-2018, 08:16 PM
(04-19-2018 04:08 PM)El Jeffe Wrote:  Is this a one time alliance to put down a rebellion or a long-term trading alliance?

Sorry for my late reply Jeff. This would be a long-term regional trade alliance that has it's goal as being to mutually assist Anarian trade ventures in an distant, exotic region far from Anaria itself. In particular, the size of West Davaian Markets and their export capacity would be a lucrative enough magnet for respective Anaria entities to put aside their differences and pursue tremendous profits in the trade of luxuries and raw materials. The gains to be made and challenges of being a cultural minority in the Shangti would I think encourage Anarians to band together.

I am favouring the idea of creating a Pan-Anarian Trade Company composed of various government and private entities engaged in commerce in the Shangti that benefits from a trade charter ratified by several Anarian powers who can request it acts on their behalf. The Company would consist of shipping cartels, mercenaries, privateers (both air and sea!) and landed holdings in Raia where it influence should strongest. It would have been most active before the Pan-Anarian War (late 7400's), face cutbacks during the war and possibly reestablish itself afterwards in the mid 7500's but with a weaker position due to rival organisations appearing and a resurgent Kamura threatening it's interests.

As a creative concept I would like the Company to be open to the input of myself and all ratifying players. Being separate from player nations would mean I could develop Kamura's interactions with Anarians while not holding players with other commitments (IG and OOG) to ransom, so to speak. The actions of this company could involve player nations directly if said players consent.

Considering it is an Anarian organisation, I'd leave the logo and name of the Company up to Anarian players, if that is the concept you'd want of course. Who is best at producing logos?
04-23-2018, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 08:47 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(04-19-2018 02:10 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Depending on when the 'alliance' was formed, Anisora might not have been on too friendly terms with Amberia and Auresia. If it is early 75th century, Anisora has just fought a war with Auresia and in the 7420s fights a major war against Amberia. Although it isn't confirmed (mostly due to Collin not being readily available) Anisora was probably on good terms with Helland before 7472 (the Haverist Revolution). It is therefore not unfeasible that the Empire of Helland was also a member of the alliance, otherwise Anisora's inclusion (at least in the early 7400s) might also need to be questioned.

Would the 7450's be a good starting point? The hostility between Anisora, Auresia and Amberia would have died down by then one would hope and Helland could join up as a founder as well. The organisation would have at least four decades to rise in prominence before the Pan-Anarian War, though Helland would have to crash out after her Revolution due to ideological differences. It's quite possible that after this Haverist groups in the Shangti could start working against the company.

I'm compiling a bit of lore for the Shangti after the Pan-Anarian War (7550) which sets the stage for current tensions. This would entail a number of organisations vying for control of various assets in the Shangti and engaging in different activities. These would include:

Fisks - Alrild Fisk could have originally worked for the 'Pan-Anarian Trade Organisation' before going awol at some point and possibly seek to curry favour with Kamura when the wind starts blowing her way. What do you think Pep?

The Senakan - The Kamuran Navy which is rapidly advancing technologically as well as expanding in size and projecting it power in the region. It is one of Gotha's most powerful navies.

The Tempest Fleet - Don't forget the Bind are involved in the region by this time though have limited resources for maritime power projection. They will likely be opportunistic, engaged in underground criminal activities and possibly accepting contracts from other organisations to engage in subterfuge against rivals.

League of Princes - These are local Raian Princes aligned with the Anarian outfit and generally opposed to Kamuran expansionism.

A Haverist Revolutionary Organisation?

The Anarian Trade Company/Alliance

That should form much of the regional narrative if you guys are in favour.
04-29-2018, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2018 02:54 PM by August Dux.)
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I am favouring the idea of creating a Pan-Anarian Trade Company composed of various government and private entities engaged in commerce in the Shangti that benefits from a trade charter ratified by several Anarian powers who can request it acts on their behalf.

I'm not sure how a Pan-Anarian trade company would work - could you elaborate?

I think an alliance would make sense for the purpose of ensuring markets stay open, but I am unsure whether a full blown trading company would function considering the bickering and intermittent wars the Anarians would be fighting amongst themselves.

I'm also unsure if the alliance would remain in place for very long after it was organised because of this. Perhaps it was an on-and-off sort of arrangement? Coming together when Anarian interests were threatened? For example, a rising Kamura might encourage the Anarians to reinstate the alliance properly after the PAW?

04-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Quote:Fisks - Alrild Fisk could have originally worked for the 'Pan-Anarian Trade Organisation' before going awol at some point and possibly seek to curry favour with Kamura when the wind starts blowing her way.

Let me add some Fisks background. They originate from Talpå, where they were kicked out (or cowardly fled, depending on whose version of history you're reading) in 7523. So before that, they were the ruling class of Talpå, a large city state in the border region between the Ådalian and Hagenite zones of influence in the area. If we go back to say 7450, then Fisks / Talpå could be the front office for both predecessor states of Vittmark when it comes to colonial possessions. In that capacity, they could easily become a part of this Pan-Anarian coalition.

Fisks went rogue during the Pan Anarian War, so we could develop some interesting historical events there. They survived as a freestanding, as good as footloose entity in the region. One of the factors was The Bind, but that one didn't start to take form before the 7540's. So there's plenty of space to fill.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"