Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Continents of Gotha
08-02-2018, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 10:22 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
The Continents of Gotha
Hi folks,

These here are the pages that are the subject of this thread:

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Anaria

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Altaia

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Davai

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.p...=D%27Runia

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kupeya

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jorveh

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Raia

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tharna

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.p...le=Tzeraka

They are the title pages of our continents and I believe an ideal starting point for fleshing out Gotha as a whole world. All the pages appear to already have the required sections and structure so that pretty much means we can get started as soon as we're ready with the content itself.

Might be worth allocating each continent to a player(s) with a vested interest in that continent, either due to their nation being based there, originating from there or having significant historical influence in the region.

Anaria could prove both the easiest and most complicated continent to write a page for. It's got much of Gotha's lore dedicated to it already but also has the most players (There are in fact only three players with active nations based outside Anaria as of now as well as the mysterious Ithrien). Basically you guys can sort that one out yourselves, I'm staying out of it haha!

As for the others:

Altaia - Felipe and I will likely do some co-operation on what Altaia is like. Seems like a beautiful place already with Felipe's work on the natural environments and countryside and such. There's some history too but that's not as pretty from what I've gathered and the recent travelling-society reviews for Northern Altaia are interesting reads. Southern Altaia is mostly under the oversight of Anarian players so if I do a page on Altaia it'll describe geography and history mostly, leaving these colonies to define themselves. The south-eastern corner of Altaia seems thick with jungle and may be an isolated holdout of Mayan civilisations maybe? On the East Coast of Altaia especially as you move North towards the Arctic Straits the Kamuran presence will increase and Sriaav cultural influences will be present.

Davai - Me as it stands right now. Obviously Yan is a major cultural zone for the whole of Gotha as well as one which has seen previous development. I would carry some of this over as useful context. I do have a strong idea of how the regions of Coastal Davai and Kisaga are culturally and politically. I've to be careful I know but with my nation being isolated atm I've to make some of my own drama have I not? Would like to have words with Pep about a possible Vittish Presence in Northern Davai, you are after all one for the raw materials trade and have gone to the trouble of getting air access over Wolgos territory. Why I wonder?

D-Runia - No idea. Ian perhaps? You've got stuff around there and no one else really has a major presence there. Very underdeveloped part of Gotha.

Kupeya - Absolute blank slate this one! Seems interesting though with it's southerly position near the antarctic. Like a giant Patagonia. This could fall to us all a little bit and be a fun, relaxing exercise. One hopes.

Jorveh - Tom and Jeff for this one since they have split it between them. Leave you to it!

Raia - Major influence on my part again as this would be a historical sphere of Kamuran influence and one she wishes to retake control of in an ideal Gotha. Big India-type of place with S.E.Asian analogues. Could do with a good ledger buff imo but I'll let Brian consider that. I think at least It's population should be boosted in total so it is a major population centre on Gotha along with Davai and Anaria. Also Alex and other Anarian players would be welcome to help out with this if you've any designs in the region.

Tharna - Northern Tharna is currently dominated by Brian's nation Anat Tahan which will likely be an influence on on the rest of the continent and Easternmost Davai. Pep is custodian of Ithrien so he will have some legitimate input as well as over the adjacent Phasian Region.

Tzeraka - Jeff and Auresian Tom yes? You've already done some decent work here so I'd be happy to see you add more of your creativity to this region.

These are suggestion I've made based on work put in to each region. Up to you to put yourselves, or anyone else, forward as continental experts. I suppose the main focus will be Geography and Natural Science in these regions to begin with as it's long overdue, underdeveloped and quite easy.

If you think you can take on one of these pages do let us know here. Remember, we've to make it accessible to new players as a kind of real estate brochure of kinds! We should encourage a spreading out of activity across the map as new players join up.

I'd like to take the lead in Davai for now and will work with geography, climate and holistic themes.
08-03-2018, 07:18 AM
RE: The Continents of Gotha
Good plan!

The reason why Anaria is so developed is that we chose to gather in one place to get more interaction. So Ho parked Ithrien and started Errea, Ian left Hayrand and developed Amberia. Much of the other continents got "developed" through colonialism, but that grinded to a halt since most of us got more than we could chew on.

I'd be happy to contribute a bit to Altaia, not only because of these smithereens called Fisks, but I got me a fistful of Bowersland to attend to.

I'm a bit hesitative about establishing Vittmark presence in Davai. IMO I'm already stretching the plausibility of Fisks quite a long way. It also became a lot bigger than I originally wanted, I preliminarily listed 6 island groups and explained to the admin at the time I would pick one or two. All six got listed as Vittmark territory, so I decided to try to make this work IG. That's where the air route came in, to have access to the northern islands.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
08-03-2018, 08:47 AM
I've recently done something similar with the page on the Medio Sea, which was a shell beforehand. I've added basic geography, economy and history where I could (naturally, history was restricted to the events my nation contributed to and how they influenced the wider region), as well as some pictures to help illustrate the region. Naturally, when dealing with even less developed regions, putting this sort of detailed information in the page will be much harder.

It'd be great to see some of these continents fleshed out a bit, nevertheless. I'm happy to contribute to Anaria as I think, due to most development happening there, it will be very much a page everyone chips into.

I am also happy to help develop Raia. At the moment Anisora only has the one colony there (the Andrea Islands), but I'd be happy to work with you, TeamBattleaxe, with developing the region. I am also currently very interested in Indian history and culture, and have been doing a lot of reading and research on the topic myself - so that should help with inspiration.

In regards to climate and natural history, I might need a bit of guidance on this. I've purposefully left that part out of the Medio Sea page as I am, to be honest, unsure how the climate and natural history affected the region. I know there was talk a while back about how the climate of Gotha will be very different to Earth's, and without knowing which Earth analogy to draw from, I am unsure what would be appropriate - I'm looking to geographers here. I am but a humble classicist!

08-03-2018, 03:01 PM
(08-03-2018 08:47 AM)August Dux Wrote:  I'm looking to geographers here. I am but a humble classicist!

One of the things that fire me up for this project was the interesting geography. I'm a massive buff for geology, tectonics, climatology and the natural world. I also love space as well and even that is relevant here.

So lets take your Medio Sea as a case study shall we? It would be right to assume it is the closest analogue in Gotha to the Mediterranean. Pretty much everything else about this region alludes to that including it's name. It have a similar geographic situation being largely enclosed between large landmasses, tectonically active, with many islands. It is in a mid latitude region climatically which compared to Earth Normal would position it further south than our Med, this being because of Gotha's extreme tilting motion caused by the orbit of Tyr, a nearby Brown Dwarf object in the Alir System.

Being where it is though the Medio Sea will not ever suffer from harsh tireal winters like further north and wouldn't quite tilt that far away from Alir's warmth for regular crops, such as grapes, olives and the like, to suffer though modest adaptations may have to be necessary such as a shift to hardier varieties and shorter, more intense growing seasons. Also in favour of the local climate is the fact the Medio Sea acts as the temperature regulator, moderating temperatures during tireal extremes.

I'm not sure how hot and humid the tropical regions of Gotha are supposed to get in during the tireal high summer, this depends on how close to her star she is, global albedo and % land cover (which is noticeably higher than Earth Normal). If the regions North of the Medio like Stoldavia or Jorvah can support nation sized polities then coldness is not something you need worry to much about.

Hope that enlightens...
08-03-2018, 03:25 PM
(08-03-2018 03:01 PM)TeamBattleaxe Wrote:  One of the things that fire me up for this project was the interesting geography. I'm a massive buff for geology, tectonics, climatology and the natural world. [...]

So lets take your Medio Sea as a case study shall we?

Excellent! Thanks for the help! This sort of natural geography isn't really where my interests lie (I'm much more interested in human geography), so it's great that you're keen! I assumed the Mediterranean was the nearest Earth analogue, but then reading a couple of threads on the Forum here made me doubt that. For me, as a non-geographer, temperature is an easy way for me to "visualise" the climate of a region, so that sort of information would be very helpful.

If you have time, feel free to write up the Medio Sea's climate and anything else that interests you. It's a page that needs different expertise to complete it, just like the continents pages Smile

In the meantime, I'll make a start on the Anaria page - it being the continent with the most development. I'll start with the easier aspects of the page which I can handle, like extent, languages, and political geography etc.

08-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Glad to be of help, I really enjoy this stuff especially when it can be useful to others.

(08-03-2018 03:25 PM)August Dux Wrote:  In the meantime, I'll make a start on the Anaria page - it being the continent with the most development. I'll start with the easier aspects of the page which I can handle, like extent, languages, and political geography etc.

I'd like to start with Davai as well, though I'm lacking a map of the kind on the Anaria page with all nations shown. I'd like to see something of the kind for all the continents. From what I've gathered inspecting the Anaria map, it is part of a larger file covering the whole of Gotha. All I'd like is to zoom in on Davai and mark out the active nations. How can that be done?
08-03-2018, 05:07 PM
(08-03-2018 04:47 PM)TeamBattleaxe Wrote:  I'd like to start with Davai as well, though I'm lacking a map of the kind on the Anaria page with all nations shown. [...] All I'd like is to zoom in on Davai and mark out the active nations. How can that be done?

I unfortunately don't know. It looks like Linden (Woodgreener) made that particular map of Anaria. The map itself is woefully out of date as it stands, but if someone with the skills could update that and get it to work, those maps would be a really great addition to the continents pages.

08-04-2018, 12:24 AM
What I've Davaised so far...

http://www.worldofgotha.com/wiki/index.php?title=Davai
08-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Two things:

1) I've had a little play around with Linden's interactive map of Anaria. I've managed to add other nations' labels to the map relatively easily - the code is pretty easy to copy, paste and alter. However, when I tried to download the "Transparent political map.png", it didn't download everything - potentially only downloading a single layer of the image. I think this may be because I don't have photoshop and use GIMP (can't afford the crazy price of photoshop). So, alas, someone else will have to update the map.

2) Great work on the Davai page, TeamBattleaxe! I've been busy steadily filling up the Anaria page. I've so far added Demographics, Political Geography, and made a good start on the Extent and Geography sections, detailing the Anarian subcontinents (which Pep has contributed to, also). Once I've finished detailing the various subcontinents, I think I'll move on to religions and cultures etc. These more detailed sections might prove trickier, but I'll have a go! It's good to see these pages take shape.

08-08-2018, 07:40 PM
We could keep the continent pages more in telegram style, otherwise they become huge and just as confsuing as the confusion we're trying to avoid. The Anaria page is already quite large, and more than half is still missing.

Just observing a potential issue while working on the page. Learning by doing...

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"