Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auresia & International Outreach
04-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Auresia & International Outreach
Partly of my own thoughts and partly from the input of a friend, I’m wondering why it is nobody comes to Auresia for anything. Ships built, trade deals, any of it. Is there something everyone else knows about Auresia that I somehow don’t? I’ve never been shy about the fact I want Auresia to interact, but apparently nobody else wants to...
04-04-2019, 08:11 PM
RE: Auresia & International Outreach
I would think historically in the lore, Auresia was one of the Anarian powers that helped Kamura modernise. I imagine Auresia, Amberia and Halland being the initial wave of Anarian expansion into the Shangti and given Kamura some shock treatment. Bare in mind Kamura had access to Ithrieni tech at this time but was still behind the Anarian's. We're talking 73-400ish.

It would be up to you if the tone of our treaties were 'unequal' during this era but bare in mind the Kamuran monopoly of Shangti trade would be broken and Kamura would want to acquire Anarian technologies so Auresia holds some advantage. From what I remember your nation is pro-free trade? Well naturally due to history and geography Kamura isn't, it's very mercantile and protectionist. In the current era Kamura is in the process of rolling back some of the changes to the region's economy that the Anarians introduced, so therefore it's more a case of past deals that are being torn up. Still, it's one of those plot points that wants articulating.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
04-05-2019, 10:54 AM
It's not so much about people not coming to Auresia, but more the fact that Anisora is actively searching for trade deals. Auresia is one of the largest economies in the world (at the moment, second behind only Amberia in Anaria), and would be a very appealing place to do business with!

At least in terms of how I'm roleplaying the Anisorans, the Anisorans are a bit more vulnerable economically than Auresia, especially given their strong stance on the free trade debate. As a result they are really pushing for trade deals at the moment. That and the current Anisoran prime minister is borderline obsessed with trade and free trade, it becoming the defining hallmark of his administration - so there is a political element to all of this.

If we're making sense of why Anisora is signing these foreign trade deals (which we should clarify is just with Vittmark and Arsas), perhaps Anisora's strong stance on the Cartel and its commitment to 'free' trade has given it a strong platform as a place you can do business with? Auresia's stance is a bit more ambigious, although they obviously came down on the anti-Cartel side. Anisora is screaming and shouting to the world at the moment for fear that her free trade project will fall through and her economy will become isolated or even collapse - she needs these foreign trade deals to validate her free trade position; and just as importantly the Anisoran prime minister has staked everything on this project working - if it fails, he fails, and the Liberal Party are out of government for years (democracy makes things messy!).

Also, the Anisoro-Arsasan Treaty began with Anisora trying to tap in to the oil and gas deposits in Arsas. The Moreva Petroleum Corporation, much like other real-world oil and gas companies, provides a great opportunity for other businesses to exploit existing business relationships cultivated by the oil industry. The other elements of the Treaty were a mixture of Anisoran opportunism, and Arsas genuinely wanting Anisoran assistance/trade/technology. Plus, there is the key element of geopolitics to consider, as both Anisora and Arsas share a mutual enemy - Anat Tahan. Basically, one thing led to another, and before we knew it, we had one of the largest trade deals in decades! I certainly didn't expect it to be so all-encompassing when I messaged Felipe about the oil industry!

04-05-2019, 03:24 PM
I really do think your effort should be commended, Alex. I have tried to stir up trade and political alliances in the past. It is not easy. For one, Gotha's trade and geo political imbalances are not easy to understand. As a result, many players are reluctant to make deals as they do not see a need or cannot determine what is in their own best interest. You could simply reach out to other players with offers but to be successfull you need to go a step further and "read" the situation to use in game developments to your advantage.

It appears to me that you did a wonderful job of using circumstances of the game to your advantage. I suspect (and hope) the Vittmark deal was a well played response to the Cartel and Vittmark's need to work around it. (This makes me happy because it means the Cartel storyline has born good fruit.) Other nations, including Tom's Auresia, could have just as well used this to their advantage as you did. You then pursued this deal with Arsas and, as you said, used mutual animosity to Anat Tahan to your advantage. For those paying attention, the opium tarifs in your deal may have created a niche for another player to make a deal with Anat Tahan.

04-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you saying that.

El Jeffe Wrote:For one, Gotha's trade and geo political imbalances are not easy to understand. As a result, many players are reluctant to make deals as they do not see a need or cannot determine what is in their own best interest. You could simply reach out to other players with offers but to be successfull you need to go a step further and "read" the situation to use in game developments to your advantage.

You are right - the geopolitical ambiguities make it very difficult - I just saw some opportunities to exploit to Anisora's advantage (or at least, roleplaying the Anisoran politicians who did). But the difficulties of assessing the geopolitical landscape is why I am all for us reclaiming inactive nations (especially powerful states like Helreich and Amberia) to generate game.

El Jeffe Wrote:I suspect (and hope) the Vittmark deal was a well played response to the Cartel and Vittmark's need to work around it. (This makes me happy because it means the Cartel storyline has born good fruit.)

Exactly. The Cartel storyline has been excellent for generating game for a whole load of us! Anisoran politics shifted as a result (the last two Anisoran elections were dominated by events linked to the Cartel, which is excellent for me), as did Vittmarker, Auresian and now Aedelish politics, not to mention it precipitated probably the largest geopolitical shift in Anaria since the PAW. That's all fantastic gameplay right there!

El Jeffe Wrote:For those paying attention, the opium tarifs in your deal may have created a niche for another player to make a deal with Anat Tahan.

All your points on facebook about middlemen and getting around the tariff are cases in point - this provides more opportunities for others to take advantage. If your nation isn't too friendly with Anisora or Arsas, this is a good opportunity to frustrate some plans!

04-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Vittmark is up for anything. I don't have a clue either why there is so little interaction between Auresia and Vittmark, while we both want to. I'm totally willing to fill in some gaps in recent history, because we already have some interaction from the era 7567-7571 and I'm absolutely convinced that stuff has happened since.

So let's reconstruct at least on visit from Anna to Auresia, and one of Cephorus to Vittmark, and add some treaties and agreements to those. They will most certainly have happened and you are right in saying that it's on the brink of unbelievable that this hasn't been done before. Maybe it's that I have been to much engaged in internal stuff due to lack of activities elsewhere, but this Kakuri obsession of mine might have gotten in the way of player interaction.

Talking about the Kakuri. Crown Princess Moa just left Shangtienrand. She does a stopover in Fisks and then continues to Aspasia. Let's assume she travels with an Anisoran airliner, that one will cross Auresia and will have to refuel. Perfect spot for Moa to change airship, this time a regular connection from Anisora through Auresia, Halland and URP back home. So she will be somewhere in Auresia really soon. I would love to see that stopover RP-ed, doesn't have to be a full state visit but I am convinced that such an event would be used to keep the close relations between Vittmark and Auresia warm. Shall we take this to a Google Drive doc?

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
04-05-2019, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2019 06:38 PM by Morbius.)
Quote:Other nations, including Tom's Auresia, could have just as well used this to their advantage as you did.

Well, I didn’t. It’s not the first time I haven’t. I’ve been frustrated in the past and found the desire to try a different tack not as strong as I might have hoped. That, and I misread the lead-up to all of this and let it slip away. I can’t go back now. Part of me thinks I’ve made a terrible mistake, but I can’t undo it now. I’ve found myself questioning everything I’ve ever done(?) with Auresia, can’t remember the last time I contributed anything meaningful, and can’t coherently think of what I really want for it. I’ve been pulled or pushed or drifted in so many directions and I find Auresia hollow, and nobody to blame but myself. It’s aggravating and embarrassing at the same time. I genuinely don’t know..

Anyway, yeah, it spurred some action, and it’s good to see. I hope it turns out well. I think this post is the most discussion I’ve created in forever, lol.