Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello, I'm Edgard!
09-12-2019, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2019 04:10 PM by Edgard.)
Hello, I'm Edgard!
Hello all! My name is Edgard, happy to have found Gotha in my interweb travels.

I have been involved in interactive geofiction since 2002, mainly in the world of Micras. I ran one of the largest nations there, Alexandria, until I reached exhaustion and killed it off in 2018. I now have three little projects there that I’ve worked on in varying intensities there: Alduria (a "successor state" of sorts to Alexandria), Ransenar (think a general Irish feel, mixed with some GoT political crazy, mixed with... *reads paper* "alcoholic militarism"... wait, that can't be right...), and the Wechua Nation (think Quechua Peru/Bolivia).

The atmosphere in Micras has gotten a little toxic for me and I’ve started to look for places where I can develop and really take my time to do things, without the pressure of quick inactivity removals and without the toxicity there.

I really hate talking about myself – if anyone has any questions, feel free to drop them in as replies here. But as a quick overarching download: I’m 32, male, live in the Washington, DC area. I work as an administrative assistant. I love history, music, politics, and working with others constructively.

I’m not sure if I want to dive right into creating something – I’d like to fist get to know everyone and do a deep dive of the place to really understand how to proceed.

I really love French and Spanish culture and history, have a penchant for monarchies and for simulating politics and government. I’ve gotten really good at drafting legislation too! It’s how I apparently have fun these days… Good Lord that’s sad to say out loud, haha.

I’m not sure if it is appropriate for me to link to some of my current creations (it’s not an attempt to poach or promote, I’d just like to give everyone a flavor of what my creative “style” and pursuits are like). If you want to take a look at things, feel free to PM me if you want and I’ll share some links.

Anyways – I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning about everyone’s creations while I read and absorb the wiki! Big Grin I am insanely impressed with the level of detail and deliberate thought given to this. I have a feeling this will be a great place to be in.
09-12-2019, 04:02 PM
RE: Hello, I'm Edgard!
Hey Edgard, great to have you here! Glad you managed to find us on your internet travels.

Having had a quick look at your Micras projects, it looks like you'll fit in very well indeed! Your attention to detail is just what I like to see from new members Big Grin I particularly like your heraldry - some very cool designs. And if you have a 'penchant for monarchies', we'll have lots to discuss! I've designed one of the most unnecessarily complex federal monarchies in Gotha, and one that I need to dedicate more time to putting up on the wiki!

Edgard Wrote:The atmosphere in Micras has gotten a little toxic for me and I’ve started to look for places where I can develop and really take my time to do things, without the pressure of quick inactivity removals and without the toxicity there.

Sorry to hear that! Gotha has an incredibly relaxed character (too relaxed, some might say!). I've been here for 6 years now, just plodding along at my own pace. Everyone here understands real life takes priority, so there are no deadlines for reasonable inactivity if you're too busy. Worldbuilding should be fun - not stressful.

Edgard Wrote:I’ve gotten really good at drafting legislation too! It’s how I apparently have fun these days… Good Lord that’s sad to say out loud, haha.

Myself and Imperium (controller of Aedeland) wrote a whole storyline on a court case about a piece of Anisoran legislation, so you're among friends here! I regularly spend my evenings writing up the most pointless minutiae for Anisora just for the fun of it. Welcome to the club. It keeps us off the streets, I suppose!

Edgard Wrote:I’m not sure if I want to dive right into creating something – I’d like to fist get to know everyone and do a deep dive of the place to really understand how to proceed.

No problem - like I said above, there's no rush. And quite a lot of lore to get your head around. I'm very happy to help you get to grips with a particular region or part of Gotha's history as and when - just let me know.

Welcome to Gotha!

09-12-2019, 06:53 PM
(09-12-2019 04:02 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Having had a quick look at your Micras projects, it looks like you'll fit in very well indeed! Your attention to detail is just what I like to see from new members Big Grin I particularly like your heraldry - some very cool designs. And if you have a 'penchant for monarchies', we'll have lots to discuss! I've designed one of the most unnecessarily complex federal monarchies in Gotha, and one that I need to dedicate more time to putting up on the wiki!

Thank you! Smile I will be giving Anisora a much closer look during my wiki journeys then! It sounds really cool so far.

I appreciate the props on the heraldry - I'm not exactly the absolute best, but I think it's fun! I've learned recently how to do it using Illustrator. I've also taken a few commissions and walked away very proud of what I've been able to pull off. I generally opt to remain in simple constructions - I like the idea of a child drawing the coat of arms on a paper for the nation's national day, for instance.

(09-12-2019 04:02 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Sorry to hear that! Gotha has an incredibly relaxed character (too relaxed, some might say!). I've been here for 6 years now, just plodding along at my own pace. Everyone here understands real life takes priority, so there are no deadlines for reasonable inactivity if you're too busy. Worldbuilding should be fun - not stressful.

That's such great news! Sometimes the constraints of my talents and writer's block conspire to really mess me up on this. Micras is great, but they have very strict 3 month removal rules and all that, and it's kinda driven shallow development from my part. Posting non-sense in a forum, inducing some quick copy-pasta behavior... not proud of some of the shallow development I've churned out to keep the lights on. Sad

(09-12-2019 04:02 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Myself and Imperium (controller of Aedeland) wrote a whole storyline on a court case about a piece of Anisoran legislation, so you're among friends here! I regularly spend my evenings writing up the most pointless minutiae for Anisora just for the fun of it. Welcome to the club. It keeps us off the streets, I suppose!

Worldbuilding: its my anti-drug! Tongue That's awesome. I've gotten very, very detailed in some of the legislation I've written up - in one of my past projects I ended up crafting a lengthy tome that implemented a national health care system...

(09-12-2019 04:02 PM)August Dux Wrote:  No problem - like I said above, there's no rush. And quite a lot of lore to get your head around. I'm very happy to help you get to grips with a particular region or part of Gotha's history as and when - just let me know.

Welcome to Gotha!

Good to hear. So, a few questions jumping out at me:

- If I wanted to start something vaguely Franco-Spanish, where would I go?
- I'm thinking of maybe bringing Alduria here, with some very, very heavy edits and changes to fit in. What should I keep in mind?

I'm not looking to start on that just yet, but I am merely planning a bit, brainstorming. Smile
09-13-2019, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 08:49 AM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Well this is a nice surprise! Welcome Edgard to the World of Gotha. I'm James and I created Kamura, a nation in the Far West of Davai based on an archipelago and the centre of a powerful maritime empire. It's our Japan/Korea concept ruled by a Matriarchal Theocracy (inspired by the spiritual beliefs of Ancient East Asia). If you're nation has any activities in the Shangti Sea Region you'll be sure to encounter us!

I glad you call worldbuilding you're 'anti-drug', it's hopefully a sign you'll be one of the more active players. Even better that you have concepts lined up from previous projects. I for one look forward to seeing what you come up with. Don't be put off by stretches of inactivity, you just feel free to share what you've worked on and Alex and Pepjin will be on often enough to be reliable partners. I've admittedly not been very active of late but often visit to see what's on and will be paying attention.

If you want to set up a nation with a French or Spanish culture then you're looking at Northern Anaria Major and you'll likely have Auresia as a neighbour. The main Francaphone region is located across the sea north of Anisora and is one of Gotha's most developed areas of real estate. Alternatively, the Iberian region the located to the east of Anisora and spreads around Auresia. If you set up east of Auresia, this region has a peninsula which is very strategic and is in a great location for maritime exploration...

We also started a project to develop Gotha more holistically by developing the character of it's respective continents and it's ancient history. If you want to offer some ideas on that feel free!

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
09-13-2019, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 12:15 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Quote:Exactly. That's the region you want to be looking at, although there have been some recent changes to the language map that have put French across the Medio Sea. As for Iberian languages, there's a good spread right across northern Anaria Major, from Catalan, and Castilian to Portuguese and Galician.

I think French was placed in it's new location due to the languages heavy Celtic influences, after all Thultannia is the home of our Celts. It also makes some sense for Italian and Spanish to be near the Patsanan areas (though Pastanan is revived so it matters less).

He's got all that room to set up in Northern Anaria. You'll have to clue him up on all the lore there though...

09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Exciting! Based on the names, I figured that might be the area for me.

I welcome any help and insight into the lore so I can start turning the creative wheels. How much can I start out claiming? I don't plan on claiming a lot but I do want to understand what are the parameters of acceptable and not.

I'm vaguely, sort-of/kinda targeting the area circled in red below:
[Image: Z6D9XTK.png]

Is that good? Is this too much? Am I in the wrong area?
09-13-2019, 02:19 PM
(09-13-2019 01:35 PM)Edgard Wrote:  I'm vaguely, sort-of/kinda targeting the area circled in red below:
[Image: Z6D9XTK.png]

Is that good? Is this too much? Am I in the wrong area?

To stake a claim you put together a nation proposal thread in the section set aside for that purpose. This should include the nation's name, flag, map of it's claimed territories and a general description giving us an idea of it's level of development and government system as well as it's culture.

As to your claim put forth here, we do have a player who planned a nation there but didn't get around to developing it. We should check with him first maybe before approving this, so long as we can contact him it shouldn't take long. His proposal was a little further to the West overall.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
09-13-2019, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 02:25 PM by Edgard.)
Quote:To stake a claim you put together a nation proposal thread in the section set aside for that purpose. This should include the nation's name, flag, map of it's claimed territories and a general description giving us an idea of it's level of development and government system as well as it's culture.

Totally understand that, been reading through the wiki here and there. I'm asking only because I don't want to kick off development and then have someone say "No". Just trying not to step on anyone's toes here, that's all. Smile There's a lot to process here and I'm just being as open as possible in case I am making a mistake or doing something I shouldn't.

I am not attached to the area, just trying to figure out where I should go.
09-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Edgard Wrote:Just trying not to step on anyone's toes here, that's all. Big Grin There's a lot to process here and I'm just being as open as possible in case I am making a mistake or doing something I shouldn't.

No worries. Like James says, a previous player showed an interest in part of that region, but I am pretty confident there wouldn't be an issue in your proposal in that area. We can contact him to confirm.

In terms of a proposal, take a look at previous nation proposals as examples of the sort of info we like to see and the subsequent discussion process we go through. The region has lots of potential though - and as Anisora's near neighbour, would be very fun to fit into the region's geopolitics and history!

09-13-2019, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 03:43 PM by Edgard.)
Thank you! Yeah, I've been reading through the proposals and reading up on things in the wiki - the mental/creative cogs are turning! Smile

Totally okay if the other player does want to proceed though. I'm not married to any specific area. As long as what I want to do (a Franco-Spanish Kingdom) makes sense for the area, I'll be fine.