Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anarian Players
10-22-2019, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 11:17 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Anarian Players
[Image: qivfRYP.png]

Here is a map of the active nations in Anaria, either with active players or a sizeable presence in the lore. I've included our newest player nation Varennes as intended at the moment.

You'll also notice an expanded Alsair. This is just a proposal of mine for a more substantial nation located there which would exist mainly to justify an English-Greco-Latin scholarly tradition that means Gothan naming traditions among other things are justified in lore. It would be a place of vineyards and universities with a chivalrous reputation as if it was founded by King Arthur himself. It should remain collaborative for the most part, I'm just laying down the basic idea.

Also another consideration of mine is adopting a more active role in Anarian game play myself since most of the action is going on over there! Not that Kamura is going anywhere oc, it'll still be a major linchpin of Gothan development.

Thoughts?

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
10-22-2019, 11:53 PM
RE: Anarian Players
(10-22-2019 11:09 PM)TeamBattleaxe Wrote:  You'll also notice an expanded Alsair. ... It should remain collaborative for the most part, I'm just laying down the basic idea.

*Raises hand* Would love to help or be part of that somehow!
10-24-2019, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 11:35 AM by August Dux.)
Nice map! Your proposal for an expanded Alsair is interesting. Alsair, if I recall correctly, was designed as a small buffer state akin to somewhere like Belgium. I personally wouldn't be against expanding it to give it a coastline in the west, but I'd personally prefer to keep it a smaller nation.

In terms of the scholarly tradition, I'm not quite sure it's necessary. We use Hallish (English) on the wiki for our own, RW reasons that English is a world language. But I think in Gotha, Hallish is a small language without much cultural or linguistic penetration beyond its colonies. And Halland (at the moment) isn't a major international player, so the language has limited influence. But Pep is the authority on Hallish, as the custodian of Halland.

I actually suggested Pastanan (Latin) could be the academic lingua franca for Gotha (or at least Anaria) years ago [here], to help reinforce the Romance (Dragaric) linguistic tradition. But nobody seemed interested, so I left it. Anisora is a world-centre for scholarship and her universities are amongst the most famous in the world. Anisorans, at least, write in Pastanan as a means of academic communication - as well as their own native Anisoran of course. This, I hope, would at least be a major academic tradition in Anaria. But I'm uncertain how significant Hallish-language scholarship is in Gotha - it certainly isn't a widely-studied language.

Having said all that, I think collaborating on the development of Alsair is a great idea!

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:Also another consideration of mine is adopting a more active role in Anarian game play myself since most of the action is going on over there!

Excellent! Would be great to get you more involved in Anarian nonsense!

10-24-2019, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 03:55 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
I was thinking of either adopting Alsair, Halland or maybe even Hellreich (if it's absent player isn't coming back to RP).

If I did adopt an English/Hallish speaking nation then expect that I would elevate Hallish to the other major language besides Pastanan and Stoldish. Both Halland and Alsair would be two influential nations which speak it. I would also expand Halland's overseas empire, parhaps giving it a 'Raj' of some kind...

If big Alsair isn't to you're fancy then at least give it the coastline!

EDIT: I think considering that RP has been really slow paced due to so many inactive players and Anaria being the part of the map most new players are attracted to, everyone who is active atm should take on a large scale project in Anaria if they haven't already got one or adopt an inactive nation.

Another idea I've got is to create a completely new nation in Southern Anaria Major to flesh out that area and build of this Demarchy idea which I'll have to read some more about. It's a predominantly South Slavic dominated entity with a Nestor Makhno-style Black Army concept going on. Being ideologically opposed to the Northern powers it would probably also have some territorial disputes with Varennes and Auresia.

I think that would be cool! I actually was devising this proposal at the same time I came up with Kamura.

10-24-2019, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 04:27 PM by August Dux.)
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I was thinking of either adopting Alsair, Halland or maybe even Hellreich (if it's absent player isn't coming back to RP).

This really needs Pep's input as he is the custodian of Halland. As for Helreich, I know Jeff semi-adopted Helreich a few months ago after the Aedelish Haeverist Revolution. So that will have to be discussed with him and the wider community. Alsair could be up for adoption though!

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I think considering that RP has been really slow paced due to so many inactive players and Anaria being the part of the map most new players are attracted to, everyone who is active atm should take on a large scale project in Anaria if they haven't already got one or adopt an inactive nation.

What do you mean by 'large scale project'? Like a nation, or a RP concept? I am all for players who have proven their activity and commitment adopting inactive nations.

And as for your southern Anaria-Major concept, I am also not against established players from taking a second nation - as long as sufficient development has taken place in their first nation. I must admit I've had my eye on that region as well for a potential new state. It might sound a silly reason, but I really want to improve my Russian, and having a Russian-speaking nation will definitely help me in that regard (my Italian has improved since taking Anisora!). I've been cooking up some concepts for a Russian-speaking, jungle-infested country!

10-24-2019, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 06:06 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
If those nations are accounted for that fine by me if they want to apply their own concepts. I'd rather bring something new to the world tbh.

(10-24-2019 04:26 PM)August Dux Wrote:  What do you mean by 'large scale project'? Like a nation, or a RP concept? I am all for players who have proven their activity and commitment adopting inactive nations.

I must admit I've had my eye on that region as well for a potential new state. It might sound a silly reason, but I really want to improve my Russian, and having a Russian-speaking nation will definitely help me in that regard (my Italian has improved since taking Anisora!). I've been cooking up some concepts for a Russian-speaking, jungle-infested country!

It would be another Anarian nation and quite possibly a large one in size or power. I've explained my idea for that area but have also have ideas for a Greek state, possibly claiming Ancient Parnethian heritage, south of Anisora and Varennes. For this I think Greek should prevail there linguistically and Romanian move to inland Anaria Major, makes more sense anyway.

Could create a major power across the Medio from Anisora on Southern Thultannia. That would also incentivise a lot more collaborative worldbuilding for us but would require a reshaping of the lore surrounding the Pan-Anarian war in Thultannia, especially now Penryn is inactive. That nation would be of Anglo-Celtic Heritage with heavy Greco-Romance influences from centuries past.

I think at this point scaling worldbuilding down to the Medio region would allow us to go deep in the lore. I did enjoy our time developing the ancient history of Anaria with you but it still seems unfinished like many things in Gotha!

EDIT:

[Image: bH4RsrI.png]

I've put together this for the benefit of visualising some ideas I've got.

I. Is my Parnethi idea of a very Byzantine flavour.
II. Is my Thultannian idea.
III. Is a really out there, Anarchic Free Territory idea.

I'll only wind up picking one tho.

10-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Some big ideas here! Lots to discuss.

As a Median myself, I'm happy to have some focused development in the Medio Sea - even though it is probably the most developed region of Gotha at the moment. I've written quite a lot about it already, but with Varennes popping up, the history will need some tweaks and additions.

In terms of your concepts listed above:

1) Unfortunately, this can't happen as Becuvitatia is written into too much of the lore now. Anisoran history is intertwined with the decline of Becuvitatia. See, principally, the War of the Becuvitatian Succession. Plus, Parnethian is spoken across a wide spread of land as it is - to the west. Spreading it further east to replace Romanian is unnecessary in my opinion - and upsets established lore.

2) The main issue I have with this is that it takes up some of the most attractive real estate for future players. I know we're not exactly swimming in potential recruits, but taking up almost half a subcontinent in a British-analogue region is a bit much in my opinion.

3) I really like the anarcho-Black Army concept. That is really unusual and would be a highly interesting geopolitical player at the centre of the Anarian continent. The bureaucratic and highly centralised Auresian Empire would have an interesting relationship with them, as would Varennes.

However, all this requires a serious discussion with the wider community about our game rules. As it stands, players aren't allowed two nations (excepting colonies, protectorates and city-states). I'm personally in favour of active players who have developed their own nation to a high degree taking a second nation. Gotha is a huge place and there is loads of land to develop some interesting concepts. Your third concept, in my opinion, is one of the more interesting I've seen in a while!

But that's a discussion for the whole community (of those of us who are active!).

10-25-2019, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2019 08:18 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(10-25-2019 07:05 PM)August Dux Wrote:  As a Median myself, I'm happy to have some focused development in the Medio Sea - even though it is probably the most developed region of Gotha at the moment. I've written quite a lot about it already, but with Varennes popping up, the history will need some tweaks and additions.

Unlike Kamura in the Shangti which is a woefully under developed region, a project in the Medio is going to require a much higher degree of co-operation. Out east I could develop the setting relatively unopposed and had very little lore to work around especially since Felipe chucked much of his away.

Considering the absence or otherwise hesitance of the great Anarian colonisers to actually colonise anything near me, I think Kamura might as well march over and try colonise Anaria!

Now on to these ideas of mine:

Quote:1) Unfortunately, this can't happen as Becuvitatia is written into too much of the lore now.

Very well. I had though Becuvitatia had been abandoned entirely. I figured the geographic position would be ideal for a Parnethian Empire to expand from. Maybe it could be historically Parnethi and since the rise of the Dragari (sounds a good colloquialism if you don't mind) their cultural dominance was displaced...

Quote:2) The main issue I have with this is that it takes up some of the most attractive real estate for future players.

I see where you're coming from but at the same time nations like Auresia and Helreich arguably violate this rule as well. That nation would be a major Gothan power on par with Auresia and as a result would require a lot of lore integration. I think we need a country across the Medio from Anisora that can match it for power at least.

I'll either go for 'big' Alsair or a concept based to the west. If it keeps this sort of size then it will be the result of relatively recent acquisitions.

Quote:3) I really like the anarcho-Black Army concept. That is really unusual and would be a highly interesting geopolitical player at the centre of the Anarian continent. The bureaucratic and highly centralised Auresian Empire would have an interesting relationship with them, as would Varennes.

Yeah I though this idea might be interesting to mimic and I thought that region of the map might get neglected by a conventional nation concept because of it's limited access to the sea. The region it occupies is highly populated though and it'll have a fair amount of resources present to export to it's neighbours. Internally it would be an anarcho-syndicalist type economy and administered as autonomous communes. these communes though, could trade with Auresia or Varennese merchants.

Ideological differences would be a point of contention though and elements of the Axiomite bourgeoisie who fled to the aforementioned nations would be lobbying for sanctions and even war...

Quote:As it stands, players aren't allowed two nations (excepting colonies, protectorates and city-states).

Well at the moment we have a 'security council' of regular members (me, you, Pep, Tom, Jeff and Edgard) so we should be provisional rule makers in that regard. I think we should be laxer on projects outside Anaria as they actually have limited impact beyond wherever region. It's mostly about preserving balance between Anarian powers.

10-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Personal opinion - would strongly prefer if option I wasn't the one pursued, only because I dream of one day expanding enough to have an outlet into the oceans south of Anaria in case Varennes gets in trouble with someone that owns a strait and then they won't let our shipping pass Tongue
10-25-2019, 09:07 PM
Ah well, that's where the geopol comes into it's own! You'd want to make friends with who ever holds that neck of land or team up with Anisora if they get too friendly with Auresia say...

Besides I'm leaning towards some variant of 2) or 3) and maybe segwaying Kamura on to the Anarian scene though that would be just a trade presence...