Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Gotha google maps?
02-09-2020, 09:40 PM
A Gotha google maps?
I wanted to share a project I've been working on for a while now. It's called OpenGeofiction. It runs a fantasy mapping server based off OpenStreetmap, where you can map to your hearts content at any level of detail, a bit like Google Maps. It's a large project with myriad fictitious countries and accompanying wiki.

I've been using the software as a sandbox mapping tool for Gotha - using the blank canvas as a way to map places in Anisora: the capital Pena, the university town of Peradotto, and a couple of other places.

I'm bringing it up now firstly to showcase some of the mapping I've done - to help us visualise Pena and other Anisoran sites - but also, secondly, to propose the software as a potential project for us here at Gotha HQ.

If we were able to create our own mapping server, it would allow each of us to map our own nations to considerable levels of detail (or as much as you wanted). I know a number of us are primarily cartographers, and this might be a great way to broaden Gotha's appeal and reengage older players.

There's a way to create your own fantasy server, but as I am not that tech savvy, I'm unsure I'll be able to do it. It looks like a bit of work, so would need to help of more technically gifted players.

What does everyone think? Would there be interest in setting up our own Gotha map where we could each design our nation's major cities, palaces, tourist attractions, secretive naval bases, and natural landscapes?

My WIP map of Pena can be viewed here, so you can see what the software is capable of.

[Image: Pena-map-still.png]

This post is a duplicate of a post made on the Gotha facebook group, for the benefit of further discussion and those not yet members of the group.

02-09-2020, 10:41 PM
RE: A Gotha google maps?
Alex:

First, thanks for cross-posting here since I'm not on Facebook. Quit that several years ago due to politics and too much drama.

I like the idea of mapping software. I'm not a big cartographer guy but I like cool maps. I'd like to create maps for Stachelort, like the river systems and rail lines. I'm also challenged since I'm not a big graphics program guy, either. In fact, what I've posted so far has been refined from someone else's base work or built in Paint or Paint 3D. I've been thinking about downloading GIMP to work on my rivers map, but haven't made the leap yet. I guess I've got a little concern about learning curve.

I did look at OpenGeofiction once upon a time, but didn't do anything with it since it didn' look like I could use it to map my existing geofiction country. I wasn't (and probably still aren't) ready to get into city-level detail as I'm looking more nationally/regionally at the moment.

Once upon a time I was pretty tech savvy, but Windows matured enough to where I stopped fiddling under the hood years ago. That said, I'm willing to help any way I can as long as I won't get shot for breaking something.
02-10-2020, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2020 05:59 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
When I eventually get myself into gear and work on more details for Kamura, this will solve a lot of the bind I've been in mapmaking for Gotha. I'd like to bring my nation's history and geography to life in a vibrant way and this kind of mapping program is one of the best ways to do that in my opinion. It's actually the physical geography that engages me more, rivers, forests, mountains and natural harbours tell you a lot about a place. I'd personally like to see us get to work on a physical map of all Gotha's continents (which can be revised by new players when they take over a plot of given land).

As for OGF, I have an account and even did a little bit of mapping but I've found the setting nowhere near as immersive due to it's lack of consistency for the most part. Your nation doesn't really fit any lore beyond it's borders unlike here! To have the best of both would be a dream!

Unfortunately though, nor does my interest match my ability. Who here would set Gotha Maps up? Could we call up someone at OGF to help us out even?

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
02-11-2020, 04:20 AM
I think it's worth noting that OpenGeofiction's community (I've long forgot about this, thanks Alex!) are working on their own project. As much as I'm open towards a similar venture using their platform for our own purposes feels like intruding on what they are doing.

Quote:As for OGF, I have an account and even did a little bit of mapping but I've found the setting nowhere near as immersive due to it's lack of consistency for the most part. Your nation doesn't really fit any lore beyond it's borders unlike here! To have the best of both would be a dream!

I concur, especially since to this day there are countless lacunae and idiosyncrasies left not updated.
02-11-2020, 03:03 PM
(02-11-2020 04:20 AM)PeaceBone Wrote:  I think it's worth noting that OpenGeofiction's community (I've long forgot about this, thanks Alex!) are working on their own project. As much as I'm open towards a similar venture using their platform for our own purposes feels like intruding on what they are doing.

We would would simply be using the same program and creating our own map, the Gotha Map, on our own server, maybe an extension of our wiki. We wouldn't be intruding on their servers at all, at as far as I understand. Also they themselves repurposed Open StreetMap software for OGF so we're just doing what they've done already.

They put a guide of how to set up you're own collaborative map project so they seem to want others to imitate what they've done.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
02-11-2020, 08:12 PM
Jph2 Wrote:I'd like to create maps for Stachelort, like the river systems and rail lines. I'm also challenged since I'm not a big graphics program guy, either. In fact, what I've posted so far has been refined from someone else's base work or built in Paint or Paint 3D. I've been thinking about downloading GIMP to work on my rivers map, but haven't made the leap yet.

I did look at OpenGeofiction once upon a time, but didn't do anything with it since it didn' look like I could use it to map my existing geofiction country. I wasn't (and probably still aren't) ready to get into city-level detail as I'm looking more nationally/regionally at the moment.

The beauty of OpenStreemap software is that you can work at any detail level you like. I personally love to work at the lowest detail level possible - my worldbuilding loves come from the small details. But you can equally work at a macro level - state boundaries, big road and rail networks, etc. Scope for all of us to work at our preferred level.

Also, I'd recommend GIMP. I use it all the time for my Gotha-related visual projects. All my maps and graphics were created using the software - it's the best free image manipulation software I've found. There are also plenty of youtube tutorials on how to use the programme - that's how I learned.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:When I eventually get myself into gear and work on more details for Kamura, this will solve a lot of the bind I've been in mapmaking for Gotha. I'd like to bring my nation's history and geography to life in a vibrant way and this kind of mapping program is one of the best ways to do that in my opinion. It's actually the physical geography that engages me more, rivers, forests, mountains and natural harbours tell you a lot about a place.

This is exactly why I think it would be a great addition to our project. And, like I mentioned, the versatility of OpenStreetmap software means you can equally spend your time crafting river valleys and mountain ranges as urban landscapes. I had great fun designing the countryside surrounding a little castle I designed on the programme!

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:As for OGF, I have an account and even did a little bit of mapping but I've found the setting nowhere near as immersive due to it's lack of consistency for the most part. Your nation doesn't really fit any lore beyond it's borders unlike here! To have the best of both would be a dream!

I agree. I am shamelessly using OpenGeofiction as a personal sandbox for my own Gotha project. None of it really fits on their project, but the ambiguity of the whole project means it's not too incongruous considering the emphasis is on mapping, rather than coherent worldbuilding. It's purely a means for me to explore Anisoran sites - hence why I want Anisoran sites in Anisora itself!

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:
Peacebone Wrote:I think it's worth noting that OpenGeofiction's community (I've long forgot about this, thanks Alex!) are working on their own project. As much as I'm open towards a similar venture using their platform for our own purposes feels like intruding on what they are doing.

We would would simply be using the same program and creating our own map, the Gotha Map, on our own server, maybe an extension of our wiki.

Exactly. We'd be creating our own website and map server for us to do whatever we want to, completely separate from OpenGeofiction. It would be a map of Gotha - a blank canvas for us to explore Stachelort river systems, Kamuran mountains, Yannic townships, Anisoran palaces etc. I would then be able to import the mapping I've already done and focus on our own world map.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:Unfortunately though, nor does my interest match my ability. Who here would set Gotha Maps up? Could we call up someone at OGF to help us out even?

So, this is the issue. I've been talking to Felipe about this and we reckon the best way would be to commission a freelance website designer. The actual creation of a server and importation of the relevant data is all beyond my own technical ability - as it is for most of us I would imagine. Obviously it's not free, so we would need to see how much it would cost and see if there is enough interest for us to cobble together the money. However, there would be no obligation at all to contribute, naturally. Just at the idea phase at this stage.

02-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Just a quick update. Felipe has found someone that looks like they'll be able to create the openstreetmap site we want! Felipe's just compiling all the terrain data the coder will need to create the map, and then at some point we'll commission him to create the site for us. We'll keep you all posted on progress when we actually get round to commissioning him.

02-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a plan. Haven't explored the map building thingy yet.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"