Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What about Erecund?
03-02-2020, 05:29 PM
What about Erecund?
So, I was doing a little wiki clean-up and came across a template for Erecund. It is not used on any page and there is no page for Erecund. I originally marked it as a candidate for deletion, but today I found a graphic in the religion article indicating Erecund is one of the 9 major religions of Gotha. But, it's also not shown on the religious distributions map in the same article.

I was going to create an Erecund page for someone to develop the religion, since it's one of the major belief systems, but I found the original Erecund page was deleted in 2019. There are 47 articles on the wiki linking to the missing Erecund page.

Hence, my question: what about Erecund? Should it remain as one of Gotha's primary religions? I tend to think so, since 47 pages link to it. These are not just pages from former players linking there, so it seems Erecund should have some current relevance. The ramification of not keeping it is 47 pages probably need revising.

Full disclosure: I'm happy to make a placeholder page for Erecund, but I wasn't planning on developing any key elements of the religion. I also didn't want to recreate something if it's not supposed to be part of our lore anymore.

So, thoughts?
03-02-2020, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2020 06:02 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
RE: What about Erecund?
Erecund from what I know of it always was an offshoot of Sadarisnism which from what I've gathered is a polytheistic faith in the spirit of Greco-Roman religion. It was defined by the player who worked on the nation of Istania as a distinct part of it's culture and lore. Much of the remaining work on Istania relates to the Theomachy, a series of religious wars between Orkanan and Sadarene armies in the region. The Sadarenes it seems ultimately won out but local religious practices were influenced by the events and Erecund is the result.

I don't mind it remaining a thing in game. I myself could be the one essentially 'adopting' Istania for purposes pertaining to a Kamuran Emporium in Anaria. When I get around to it...

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that about a year since me and Alex wrote up some lore about Ancient Anarian history and the rise of the Dragar Monopoly which was proceeded by the Parnethian Empire, itself a polytheistic civilisation whose faith formed the blueprint for later Sadarene faiths. All these religions would share common themes.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
03-02-2020, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2020 10:45 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
Actually I might re-purpose the Erecund template for Kamuran Celestialism if that's possible. The symbol of the religion incidentally is an eight-pointed star...

Don't change my stance on keeping Erecund of course.

03-03-2020, 09:03 PM
I'm happy for us to keep Erecund. If a future or existing player wants to develop it, it's a near blank canvas for them to detail, but not having it detailed at this time doesn't seem to be an issue either.

03-03-2020, 09:03 PM
The page was aleeady removed in 2013 it seems, Brian just tried to retrieve the info in June 2019. Placeholder page seems in order, probably with the above outline in it.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
03-06-2020, 08:26 AM
I've been scrounging up the forums lately, and from what I recall, wasn't Erecund merged with Sadarisnism?
03-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Scrolling back through the Religion article edits, here's what it used to say about Erecund:
Quote:Erecund is the main religion in Istania and Zjarrtënaea. It is a polytheist religion whose deities are four pairs of gods, each of which has a domain opposite from the other member of their pair. The god of the sky Zeruel and goddess of the earth Gotaia, god of fire Ferxun and goddess of the sea Istalia, and god of death Herion and goddess of life Biziel are almost universally accepted by the different denominations. The Gerbaxei denomination believes the god of war Gerraio and goddess of peace Baxea to be the fourth pair, while the Sollunei denomination worships the god of the sun Alear and goddess of the moon Llunia. There are also many revenes, akin to saints, spirits, or minor gods, that are the children of the primary gods and are often worshiped or honored alongside them. The adjective for Erecund is "Erecondine".
The 2011 version of the religious distribution map reflected this. The 2019 version has no Erecund on it. The graphic at the top of the page still shows Erecund as one of the 9 major religions, however.

Kenani, who was last active in 2017 and played Istania, chose Sadarisnism as the main religion. He discussed rolling Erecund into Sadarisnism in a thread on that topic as Samuel noted. Thanks for bringing that up, Samuel; I didn't find it when I searched Erecund. Smile

The 2019 religious distribution map shows the Altaian continent as all indigenous religions. With the Wolgos moving there to The Bind, it seems they would have brought their Dlroch'veldr religion with them. Perhaps southern Altaia, or portions of D'Runia could be the new home for Erecund, which new players could develop? That would still leave us with the same 9 major religions shown in the graphic. (I can't help it; I like the graphic.)
[Image: Gotha_religious_symbols01.jpg]
03-06-2020, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 12:01 AM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(03-06-2020 06:14 PM)jph2 Wrote:  The 2019 religious distribution map shows the Altaian continent as all indigenous religions. With the Wolgos moving there to The Bind, it seems they would have brought their Dlroch'veldr religion with them. Perhaps southern Altaia, or portions of D'Runia could be the new home for Erecund, which new players could develop? That would still leave us with the same 9 major religions shown in the graphic. (I can't help it; I like the graphic.)
[Image: Gotha_religious_symbols01.jpg]

The Bind has been reduced in extent due to Felipe having less time to invest in it. As such the Wolgos religion is going to be localised along the North Coast of Altaia (though tbf the religion map seems to display the religions of Gotha pre-Wolgos expulsion from Anaria).

I think it best the Indigenous areas of the 'New World' remain that way. May provide a fairly open framework for any new players who want to develop any civilisations there. Erecund was very similar to Sadarene beliefs anyway so it could plausibly be a regional sect of it.

Btw I would like to use the symbol of Erecund for Kamuran Celestialism (Hichon Yol - Chonism). I like the eight pointed star which is not just symbolic of the religion but of Kamura itself. Hopefully it's possible to do a rehash of the graphic with updated lore?