Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Gotha Exhibition
03-29-2020, 10:37 AM
The Gotha Exhibition
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone's keeping well in lockdown or in isolation! Having some free time this weekend I thought I'd share a concept I've been thinking about.

What if Gotha had a regular World Exhibition event? Just like the Victorian/Edwardian events that happened across the planet, we could have regular 'Gotha Exhibitions' where nations from across our world exhibit the best they have to offer. It could be a great way to showcase our own work, explore different themes in our world, and create some interesting interaction.

I was thinking each could be themed, just like the World Exhibitions were. Some suggestions:
  • Industry of all nations
  • Colonial Exhibition
  • Arts and Cultural Exhibition
  • Native Cultures and Anthropology Exhibition (I'm thinking of the Kakuri here!)
  • The Natural World Exhibition
  • The Modern World Exhibition
  • Exploration and Discovery Exhibition
  • Education Exhibition
  • Modern Technology Exhibition
  • Maritime Exhibition
  • Aerospace Exhibition (airships!)
  • Peace Exhibition (potentially the first Post-PAW exhibition?)
  • Historical Wonders Exhibition (each nation could choose a period in its history to showcase)
Each of our nations could host a Gotha Exhibition if the player is interested, with each of the participating nations contributing a pavilion where we can describe the displays that our nations want the rest of Gotha to see. It's a way for us to explore how our nations want the rest of the world to view them.

Helreich's Haeverist pavilion could be very different to Anisora's free market capitalist pavilion, for example. How would Kamura want to present itself to the world, setting itself up as an equal of Anarian powers? The new Haverist regime in Aedeland might want to showcase its vision for a glorious future. And the Vittmarkers might want to show the world its new united federation, or show off the culture of its Kakuri member state. Just like in the real World Exhibitions, these events are as much about politics as sharing culture/technology/knowledge, so we can explore the geopolitics of our setting as well.

If people are interested we could make it a semi-regular event every 4-5 years. Obviously the PAW would have put a stop to the events if they had started prior to the War. Alternatively, they could be a new concept that became popular after the War as a means of peaceful international exchange (and a cheaper form of rivalry for the wrecked economies of Anaria than arms races).

03-29-2020, 11:41 AM
RE: The Gotha Exhibition
Go!

I think a Gotha exhibition would have started after the PAW and maybe as a way to share progress and a common future instead of battling it out in trenches. In a 4-5 year cycle, we would have had about 6 to 8 by now. Which means that any of the larger nations (Amberia, Anisora, Auresia, Aedeland, maybe even Helreich if they're into this) could have organized one. URP and Halland seem like logical places for such an event as well. Won't be claiming any spot for Vittmark here, but if anyone would allow me to, I could do the one in Halland. Seems more logical.

I'd have to delve into Crystal Palace (1851) to Paris (1889) era exhibitions to get the right feel for it. FYI I'm a supporter of the Crystal Palace Football Club... Also, if we want to give Orkanan traditions and their culture of working with nature a central place as well (not just technology stuff) then we might want to look AIPH horticultural exhibitions like the Dutch Floriade for inspiration.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
03-29-2020, 12:52 PM
I'm wondering how practical it would be for Kamura to partake in this. Will the Expo have a host city? Where will it be?

If it's in Anaria, Kamura might as well send one of its modern battleships as it's stage!

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
03-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Pepijn Wrote:In a 4-5 year cycle, we would have had about 6 to 8 by now. Which means that any of the larger nations (Amberia, Anisora, Auresia, Aedeland, maybe even Helreich if they're into this) could have organized one. URP and Halland seem like logical places for such an event as well.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I'm wondering how practical it would be for Kamura to partake in this. Will the Expo have a host city? Where will it be?

The Expos would have a different host city for each event, and I think the more the merrier! While the majority of expos will indeed take place in Anaria (for geopolitical but also practical reasons - most of the active players are in Anaria), we shouldn't be restricted to Anaria. Kamura could hold its own Exhibition in Shuido, or wherever it likes. All nations would be invited to partake in these events - as they would be designed to facilitate peaceful exchange of knowledge/culture etc.

And yeah, Halland and the URP make logical host locations. I'd love to see you do one for Halland, Pep - sounds good!

Pepijn Wrote:Also, if we want to give Orkanan traditions and their culture of working with nature a central place as well (not just technology stuff) then we might want to look AIPH horticultural exhibitions like the Dutch Floriade for inspiration.

Cool idea! That could be the Hallish Exhibition! I can definitely see horticulture being a central part of most Orkanan exhibitions. The design and planning of the event will be of huge importance and would be out to impress the world! Your city would be on display, after all. I've already got a park lined up for Pena's Exhibition and might map it out in the OpenStreetmap software so we can see where each nation's pavilions are etc.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:If it's in Anaria, Kamura might as well send one of its modern battleships as it's stage!

Haha, that's the spirit! Or more feasible, models of Kamura's modern warships, with their most advanced naval technology on display would make an impressive display at an Industrial or other Exhibition! Perhaps a Kamuran Exhibition would have a technology theme, designed to show off their technical prowess to the Anarian visitors?

We can all choose which theme each of the events would have - a good chance to roleplay what the organisers would care about and want to show the world.

03-29-2020, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 03:56 PM by jph2.)
This is an excellent idea! I like it and I see some Stachelortan bankers rubbing their hands together over the idea of their roles in helping with funding to put these on.

I always thought the idea of the great exhibitions was cool but I never really looked into them in depth. I see Belgium hosted a number of them which means countries like Stachelort could host as well. No disrespect to Belgium here, just noting it wasn't only the Great Powers that hosted. They fairly consistently had participation of 20-30 countries, so everyone can have a pavilion if they want.

Stachelort, always wanting to be like the big boys, would participate in the exhibitions in some fashion. Heck, even with an economy only relatively recently healed from a half century of war, Stachelort could host. France hosted the 1889 Paris Exhibition to stimulate their economy so Stachelort could do the same.

On that basis, assuming at least 3 previous exhibitions by some of the major powers, I'd like to propose Stachelort hosting in 7577 (25 years after the PAW ended). Lusky became Autokrat in 7573, so that gives a few years for planning and building needed infrastructure. With a theme of "A Quarter Century of Peace and Prosperity", participants could choose how they wanted to showcase that.

Before I even looked into some of the great exhibitions, I was thinking of Stachelort "flaunting" its Autokratic system vis-a-vis other systems in general and monarchies in particular (since they're the majority system across Anaria). When I found the 1889 Paris Exhibition was both to stimulate the economy and the theme was the French Revolution, resulting in Europe's monarchies officially boycotting, it seems to fit Stachelort nicely. An exhibition's economic benefit could explain the country's recent naval modernization/expansion. The theme has room for everyone to participate (even boycotting countries participated unofficially in Paris) on the basis of celebrating world peace. There's also room for some controversy with Stachelort's pavilion focusing on the Preservationist Coup (which deposed the nobility) as the means of ending Stachelort's involvement in the PAW and bringing about the Autokratic system. Nearly 62,000 businesses participated in the 1889 Paris Exhibition, so adding prosperity to the tag opens it up to businesses and non-Anarian countries as well.
03-29-2020, 05:50 PM
So if we're going for a (kinda) 5 year gap in between, Halland would like to have the 7567-ish event. It would also be the first time Vittmark would be around. Pretty sure I'm going for a "Natural World" kind of theme, with a modernist but still rather anti-Stellist kind of approach. I'm assuming the häverists will be there and not bothering about any theme.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
03-29-2020, 06:53 PM
OK great. So far we have three bids to host the Exhibition then. Since the year '7 seems popular, we'll use that as a base with five year intervals. We could either have the first Exhibition in 7552, the year of the peace, or 7557. If the first one does happen in 7552, it would most likely have to be hosted by a power that was neutral during the PAW. Because Anisora sure as hell couldn't afford to do anything like that less than a year after the end of the War! I personally think a break of a few years would make the most sense anyway.

As such, Anisora could host in either 7562 or 7572, as her economy would be back on its feet by then - more or less. And like Jerry said in the case of the French Exhibition of 1889, would be a good way to stimulate the economy further in any case.

So, a preliminary schedule:

7552 - VACANT
7557 - VACANT
7562 - VACANT
7567 - Halland
7572 - Anisora
7577 - Stachelort

So we have a couple of slots open for anyone else interested. Otherwise, we can have the Exhibitions start in 7567 with Halland, or potentially in 7562 with Anisora, depending on whether the 7572 slot would make more sense for another nation.

03-29-2020, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 08:15 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(03-29-2020 06:53 PM)August Dux Wrote:  So, a preliminary schedule:

7552 - VACANT
7557 - VACANT
7562 - VACANT
7567 - Halland
7572 - Anisora
7577 - Stachelort

So we have a couple of slots open for anyone else interested. Otherwise, we can have the Exhibitions start in 7567 with Halland, or potentially in 7562 with Anisora, depending on whether the 7572 slot would make more sense for another nation.

Considering Kamura is new on the Anarian scene and the world is only just globalising I would place a Kamuran participation at 7577 in Stachlort. Its the ideal venue too considering that Stachlort is the shortest journey time.

I suppose Kamura could hold an expo in 7582 but it would be impractical for her to host it on her own territory alone due to the distances of travel. It could be one of two expos held that year in conjunction with one another, the other being in Anaria. The theme of the year's event could be one of cultural exchange between Anaria and West Davai.

I've got to be pressing on with that Emporium in Istania sometime this decade and all the events that will surround that which could be quite exciting.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
03-29-2020, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 09:05 PM by El Jeffe.)
I'd like Aedeland to host one. However, the Republic of Aedeland was controlled by luddites and xenophobes who would have been largely uninterested in international expositions of technology. The Technate, of course, would be interested in hosting a future Expo.

03-30-2020, 06:29 PM
TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I suppose Kamura could hold an expo in 7582 but it would be impractical for her to host it on her own territory alone due to the distances of travel. It could be one of two expos held that year in conjunction with one another, the other being in Anaria.

Imperium Wrote:I'd like Aedeland to host one. However, the Republic of Aedeland was controlled by luddites and xenophobes who would have been largely uninterested in international expositions of technology. The Technate, of course, would be interested in hosting a future Expo.

If you're both looking to host future expos, we could potentially have the 7582 Expo be a joint Aedelish-Kamuran Expo? Up to you guys. But I think it would make sense for the new Technate to be keen to host an Expo - it would be keen to show itself off to the world, I'm sure! If a joint Expo does happen, Anisora might boycott the Aedelish one but participate in the Kamuran one - despite the distances involved! So there might be interesting politics there.