Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Climate of Stachelort
04-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Smile Climate of Stachelort
I've been working on fleshing out the climate of Stachelort.

Obviously, I started with the Gotha climate map. Interestingly, when you zoom in on that map to Stachelort, you find what appears to be desert along the southern coast.
[Image: nNcxNsb.jpg]
This may seem odd, but I kind of like the variation it provides. And the concept is not without its real world examples. Consider the Guanica dry forest and vicinity in southwest Puerto Rico. While not desert, per se, it is an arid area adjacent to the Caribbean. And then there are the deserts of north Africa, as well.

As I considered the climate, I also looked at the temperature, ocean currents, and rainfall maps. I had already considered the accessibility map in developing the wiki articles for the Stachel Highlands and Rückgrat Mountains.

It seemed to me the highlands and mountains that are difficult to cross, especially if they have peaks in the 2,500 to 3,500 m range (no pun intended) would have significantly cooler temps than the 15 to 17 C ranges on the temperature map. So I took a look at the climate of Italy, hoping that might guide me and it seemed a pretty good source. As a result, I came up with five main climate zones.
[Image: Stachelort_map_climate.jpg]

Although the Gotha climate map shows temperate, alpine, and mountain (with that sliver of desert?), I figured the temperate needed cooler and warmer zones to provide transition between the cooler uplands and warmer plains and coastlands. I figured, also, the cooler currents from the Settant polar/Stormy sea would mediate the northwestern coast while the warmer currents from the Anarian-runian would warm the southwestern (and perhaps explain the desert, which likely has cliffs along the shore to explain lighter moisture there).

So, to summarize:
  • North coastal (Oceanic)--average temp about 15 c, ranging from 6 to 25
  • Mountains--average -2.5, ranging -15 to 10; snow in winter, perhaps year round at higher elevations which are above the tree line
  • Highlands--average 7.5, ranging -4 to 19, snow in winter
  • Northern plains (Oceanic)--average 12, ranging 2 to 22
  • Southern plains--average 17.2, ranging 10 to 26
  • Desert--average 17.5, ranging 6 to 30; very light precip
I came up with the temps from either the Italian climate page, or the applicable Köppen climate classification pages to fit the likely Stachelortan climate based on the average temps, currents, and topography.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I keep the desert sliver? Or should I change it to southern plains considering it was probably a bleedover in the coloring on the Gothan temps map?
04-26-2020, 09:11 AM
RE: Climate of Stachelort
I'm certainly not an expert on the geography of Gotha, so other players might have more useful insights. However, this all seems reasonable to me.

I would just say that the sliver of what you identify as desert is probably more likely to be a savannah-type colour. It will probably be more akin to the low-rainfall regions of Errea and the southern Medio rather than a desert. That region in Stachelort would thus have more in common with the Anisoran Median coast than a Tahani desert, for example.

Love the map by the way! Nice work.

04-26-2020, 03:28 PM
(04-26-2020 09:11 AM)August Dux Wrote:  I would just say that the sliver of what you identify as desert is probably more likely to be a savannah-type colour. It will probably be more akin to the low-rainfall regions of Errea and the southern Medio rather than a desert.
Nice idea. It didn't look like savannah color to me, so I hadn't considered that. I agree the sliver is probably less deserty than the typical sandy style desert that comes to mind (at least to me).

I looked at 50 savannah climates on Wikipedia and a common annual mean was near or above 25 C. This seems too hot to mesh with Stachelort's adjacent climate areas. The coolest RW savannah I found was Guatemala City at 20.4 C, which is still about 2.5 degrees warmer than the temp map shows at ~18 C with no significant elevation changes as a rationale.

Not opposed to changing the sliver to savannah, just not sure how the typical savannah climate would fit next to the southern plains climate. I based the desert sliver on Naama, Algeria which has a mean of 17.5 C. That didn't seem too radically different so I thought it could fit as a climate variant for that sliver.

(04-26-2020 09:11 AM)August Dux Wrote:  Love the map by the way! Nice work.
Thanks! Smile
04-26-2020, 10:54 PM
The classification "desert" is not so much related to the idea of a dry and sandy place with high temperatures, it's mainly the lack of rainfall. Take the Gobi as an example, that one is pretty cold. Technically speaking, most of Antartica is a desert due to the lack of precipitation.

Also, if a place isn't dry enough for a desert, but too cold to be called savannah, then we tend to use the word steppe. Although that is mainly associated with continental (land) climates. But there are rather dry, treeless steppe-like regions in Spain, Italy and Greece as well.

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
04-27-2020, 03:27 PM
(04-26-2020 10:54 PM)Pepijn Wrote:  Also, if a place isn't dry enough for a desert, but too cold to be called savannah, then we tend to use the word steppe. Although that is mainly associated with continental (land) climates. But there are rather dry, treeless steppe-like regions in Spain, Italy and Greece as well.
Thanks! I hadn't considered steppes, either. I think that's a good solution. Murcia, Spain has a mean temp of 17.6 C which fits the Gotha temp map and easily sits next to Stachelort's southern plains climate. Murcia also averages 313 mm of rain vs. Naamba, Algeria's 208.5, so that fits better, too.
04-27-2020, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2020 06:04 PM by TeamBattleaxe.)
(04-27-2020 03:27 PM)jph2 Wrote:  Murcia, Spain has a mean temp of 17.6 C which fits the Gotha temp map and easily sits next to Stachelort's southern plains climate. Murcia also averages 313 mm of rain vs. Naamba, Algeria's 208.5, so that fits better, too.

I was going to mention the Spanish Badlands as a good analogue to your desert. Any dry region of Anaria would more resemble the dry regions of Southern Europe than a true desert of any sort. The region in question is fairly warm, south facing and most likely has ocean currents carrying moisture away from it.

Another plausible analogue could be the Southern Canary Islands, especially Tenerife.

The climate type could best be described as Arid Scrubland but colloquially these places often earn the name 'desert' or 'badlands'.

By Keija's Hand! Kamura Shapes the World!
04-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Pepjin Wrote:if a place isn't dry enough for a desert, but too cold to be called savannah, then we tend to use the word steppe.

TeamBattleaxe Wrote:I was going to mention the Spanish Badlands as a good analogue to your desert. Any dry region of Anaria would more resemble the dry regions of Southern Europe than a true desert of any sort. The region in question is fairly warm, south facing and most likely has ocean currents carrying moisture away from it.

I think these both serve as great analogues! The Spanish Badlands particularly fits for the general dry areas of Anaria. And steppe is more what I meant by savannah.

04-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everybody! I've learned some more about climates through this.

I like how this has given me a better feel for Stachelort. It brings it a little more to life--the place has weather.