Gotha date; RH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wiki Scalable Person Infoboxes and Succession Boxes
06-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Wiki Scalable Person Infoboxes and Succession Boxes
So, in an effort to help make our Wiki more like Big Wiki, I've developed a series of templates for person infoboxes and succession boxes. I did this so we can expand on the basic Person Infobox template because many of our famous people have or have had more than one role. Take Autokrat Lorenz Saller, for example. He was a navy guy before he took over the country, but the only way to include both roles in his infobox was to hand-code an infobox-like table on his individual page.

Person infobox template series

Enter the scalable Person infobox template series. These are the templates that start with "P-". As long as the series is wrapped in a {{P-start}} and {{P-end}} wrapper, you can have as many other P-templates as you want. You can also customize the title background colors if you wish. The default colors are based on the related category colors (e.g., nobility = light green) used with succession boxes.

Succession template series

Correspondingly, I liked the idea of succession boxes you see on the Big Wiki and Alex had already "hard coded" a similar concept on some of his Anisoran bigwhig pages. These also needed to be scalable as some people have a lot of positions, some are royalty, some are not. The header bar colors are the same as those used on the Big Wiki, except for government officials, which I changed to a lightish yellow to mirror our existing Person Infobox title bar color. The Succession box template series is fairly adaptable and seems to work well. Once I had a couple basic boxes down, Alex came along and really beefed up the available header bars to make the succession boxes really versatile. Thanks to Alex for his help on this! Big Grin

Arndt Garber's page is a good example of both the scalable Person infobox series and the succession box series on a single page.

I've tried to put fairly robust explanations on usage on the template pages and tried to be inclusive for whatever someone might want to adapt them to on their page. Please let me know if you want something added or if something is not clear. Of course, it's an open project, so fee free to add things yourself.

Caveat 1: I have noticed on some templates the default value doesn't display in a page unless the parameter is removed from the list on that page. For example, the background parameter seems to need to be removed from the template call on the article page to get the color to display. Not sure why this is, but removing the parameter is a simple workaround.

Caveat 2: Sometimes a successive template needs to start on its own line and sometimes they're ok starting on the same line as the closing braces from the previous template. If you have a display problem, trying changing
}}{{Next_template
to
}}
{{Next_template
06-03-2020, 08:04 PM
RE: Wiki Scalable Person Infoboxes and Succession Boxes
This is... kinda overwhelming. Let me check which persons should benefit most from this. Starts testing in 3... 2... 1...

VITTMARK:"This mess is a place." --- FISKS:"Fisk you!"
06-03-2020, 10:12 PM
(06-03-2020 08:04 PM)Pepijn Wrote:  This is... kinda overwhelming...
lol

They're just another option. I wanted to develop flexible templates (within the limitations of our Mediawiki 1.15 version software) to get away from either lots of variant templates or hard-coding on every individual page.

If someone wants one but they don't want to mess with it, I'd be happy to help.
06-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Excellent work as always Jerry! I have already made extensive use of the succession templates and have found they really add a nice amount of detail to my biography pages - so thanks for all the hard work on the coding! Now the unnecessarily complex Anisoran honours and titles systems can be viewed in a new way!

Equally, the new scalable person infoboxes look great! I'll have to give them a try. One thing I think might be worth considering is reducing the spacing of some of the infobox parts to reduce the overall size of the infobox? It would just be a small change, but considering most biography pages aren't too detailed, it would be a good space saver.

06-04-2020, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2020 07:08 PM by jph2.)
(06-04-2020 06:20 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Excellent work as always Jerry!
Thanks!

(06-04-2020 06:20 PM)August Dux Wrote:  One thing I think might be worth considering is reducing the spacing of some of the infobox parts to reduce the overall size of the infobox?
I agree. I'll have to take a look; the Wiki seems to be a little touchy on trying to manage line height sometimes. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wink

Edited to add: I've reduced the line-height and the cellpadding in the {{P-start}} template, which affects all the other templates used in the series. You were definitely right about it being a simple change. We can up it some if it seems too crunched.

Bonus: I learned something about the line-height property.
06-04-2020, 08:28 PM
Jph2 Wrote:I've reduced the line-height and the cellpadding in the {{P-start}} template, which affects all the other templates used in the series. You were definitely right about it being a simple change. We can up it some if it seems too crunched.

Excellent. I think it might be a tad too crunched up at present, but we can easily adjust that. If in doubt, I think the standard wikipedia infobox spacings are a great reference - neither too crunched up nor too spaced out.

Also, I tried out the new infobox elements on my new page on Emperor Flavian, and it looks good! Just needs spacing out ever so slightly.

06-05-2020, 03:00 PM
(06-04-2020 08:28 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Excellent. I think it might be a tad too crunched up at present, but we can easily adjust that.
Done.

(06-04-2020 08:28 PM)August Dux Wrote:  Also, I tried out the new infobox elements on my new page on Emperor Flavian, and it looks good!
I noticed that and I agree. Smile